Chapter 5: Friendsgiving

Auggie: Age 13

This year my family was hosting Friendsgiving. Last year everyone went down to River's house. We usually rotate from River's parents, Logans or mine, but all the friend families were all going to be here. Including Melissa's family. Since the hayride a few years ago where Melissa said she would try to be nicer to River, Melissa has gone out of her way to be nice to River whenever River and her family are around, but I don't think River is buying want Melissa is trying to sell. They aren't mean to one other, but they're not friends either, it's kind of like they have a truce of some sorts.

I know that River tries to avoid Melissa at all costs. If she sees Melissa heading her way at any point then she excuses herself from anyone around her and goes to find something else to do. Usually when this happens, I'm standing next to River therefore she leaves me to talk to Melissa without an escape. Sometimes Logan will take pity on me and pull me away, but it's like Melissa has caught on to this game and she knows how to work it to her advantage. Melissa has tried to weasel her way into spending the night at my house when River's family is in town, but it hasn't happened since. River told me on the way home from that trip she had a talk with both her mom and dad regarding forcing her to be friends with Melissa AND since her dad already told her she didn't have to be friends with Melissa. She made it clear she did not ever care to ever get to know Melissa any better and if her mom wanted to get to know Melissa more that she would need to remain close by throughout out the night and not make River babysit her. River had also told me that during that night that at one point River had to go to the restroom and when she got back Melissa was trying to say that I asked her to move there and wouldn't get up. She told me she kicked me to try to wake me up to confirm what Melissa said, but then Melissa started to backtrack. I was wondering why my head hurt. I'm sure River told her parents about that part as well. Anyways both can be in the same room without any issues as long as they are not forced into an interaction.

I'm nervous about today because we will be playing games and River is very competitive and Melissa had already asked me to be on her team. I know that River will not be happy. I really don't want to face River right now. My mom and dad had talked to me about not excluding others when River is around, so I went ahead and agreed to be Melissa's partner today. It probably wasn't going to be pretty. I probably should have told her before she arrived today.

I'm currently helping my dad with the turkey. It's the first time he is going to fry one. He's watched a lot of YouTube videos. All the families were supposed to bring a side with them. My mom made a few sides and Aunt Ashley usually bakes and brings the desserts.

River's family just showed up and Aunt Ashley is helping my mom by getting all the seating together. Aunt Ashley brought pumpkin, apple, and a pecan pie. River walks up next to me and whispers in my ear, "Guess what I made and brought just for me and you?" I lean back and raise my right brow. "Pumpkin cheesecake!" I pick her up and give her a big bear hug. "I can't wait to eat it later when everyone is gone." I release her slowly. She's wearing the t-shirt that I bought her for her last birthday. It's maroon with a picture of me and her in the bathtub when we were babies with a text that read, "Find a weirdo just like you and never let them go". I'm pretty sure she loves it because every time I see her, she wears it. Her dad is over with my dad drinking a beer. He yells over at her to go get her and my dad another beer. She turns to me, "I'll be right back." And she runs off.

While River was inside getting our dads a beer, Logan and his parents show up. Aunt Jessica is carrying a casserole dish. "Hey Aunt Jess, can I help with anything?" I continue to walk towards their vehicle knowing they will have more than what she is carrying. "Yeah, Uncle Chris and Logan can show you want to bring in." With that I leave her to help Logan and his dad.