Chapter 39: She's going down

River

My phone drops to the floor at the mention of Auggie being at the hospital. I'm hope he's okay. I go to pick up my phone when out of the corner of my eye I see a shadow and I scream. I immediately try to pick up my phone, but I accidently hang up on Mackey at the same time. When I look up, I see someone in my house that I don't know. I immediately go into defense mode. What is this guy doing in my house? This guy is bigger than me, but I've taken down people who are bigger than me. Maybe he walked into the wrong house, I think at the same time my conscience is saying, you can't be that naïve?

"I think you may have the wrong house." I look at the door he must have come through without taking my focus off him. I had left the door unlocked earlier waiting for Auggie. He still hasn't said anything, so I stand there for a second. He looks like he might be contemplating what he's going to say.

"Okay well I'm not sure what you might need, but I think you should leave." As I'm saying this, I'm putting distance between us. I can tell he's nervous. I'm getting ready to run when he starts to talk, "I'm not going to hurt you." He holds up his hands in front of him like he's knows I'm going to run, "I tried to knock, but then I heard someone cry out and I came in. I know you don't me, but I think we should really talk."

"Okay." I'm hesitant. I'm not sure what this guy thinks he wants to talk to me about.

"I know your cousin Melissa." I stiffen, but my heart is beating faster. I know he said he wouldn't hurt me, but he walked into my house without permission. All I can think about are the threats Melissa has made and that Auggie is in the hospital. Did she hurt him?

"I'm not going to hurt you." He repeats himself again.

"Then what are you doing here?" I question.

"Look I can tell you are not comfortable, but we really should talk." He pleads.

"Well, you kind of just walked into my house, and I don't have the best track record with Melissa. So, I'll ask again, what are you doing here?"

"Do you mind if we sit, I'll stay over here." I don't know if it's because even though I should be afraid I'm not, so I do as he asks, and I sit down slowly close to the chair I'm closest too. He does the same.

"We can talk, but I need to hurry one of my friends is in the hospital." I need to get to Auggie. This guy nods.

"Again, sorry for scaring you, but I thought you should know your cousin tried to get me to attack you." I think he expect me to be shocked, but I'm not. I don't really care. Did she hurt Auggie I think again.

"Do you have any evidence or proof?" I ask ignoring his facial expression. We need to hurry this up.

"Yeah, I do. I have text messages and a couple of voicemails.", he finally responds.

"What did she want you to do?" I ask, curious what she would have him do.

"She wanted me to act like it was a robbery and attack you. I was supposed to knock you unconscious." He looks down in shame. "I'm not going to lie I thought about it, but I just couldn't do it and live with myself. "I cross my arms. I know immediately she has something on him.

"What does she have on you?" His eyebrows furrow.

"How do you know she has something on me?" he says.

"Like I said Melissa and I don't have a very good track record." He's quiet for a minute before he speaks.

"I work with her, and she caught me doing something that could get me fired, but it's not illegal." He quickly says and then looks away, he must know I work for the police department.