Chapter 7: Sealed with a kiss

River: Age 15

Both of Auggie's and my teams made it to the State Championship this year. It was a last-minute planned trip since neither of us knew if our teams would make it. Both of our dads were not able to get off work so it's just the mom's and the kids. Aunt Jess was able to find a house to rent for the weekend close to where we are playing. All the hotels were booked up. The house we are staying is one of the nicer places we have ever stayed at. It has three bedrooms so Logan, Serena, Auggie, and me are in one room that has bunk beds. Brock is sleeping on the pull-out couch in the living room and Aunt Connie is sharing a room with Ellie. My mom and Aunt Jess are in the same room.

When everyone went to sleep Auggie snuck in my bunk. We are both laying on our back talking about how our games went today, what we could have done better and what we need to do to get better. Auggie is quiet for a minute and then he rolls over to his side, "Hey River have you had any boys ask you out yet?" I roll over on my side to face him. "Yeah a few have, why?"

"What did you tell them?"

"No, what the heck would I do with a boyfriend?" He laughs, "River you would hold their hand, go to the movies, kiss them?" Is that what he is doing? I suddenly don't feel so good. Does he have a girlfriend? Has he been kissing girls? I always thought we would be each other's first kiss. "Riv?" he asks after I don't say anything. "Do you have a girlfriend? I know you have girls asking you out. Have you kissed them?" I blurt out.

"Calm down Riv, I don't have a girlfriend and I haven't kissed anyone" I let out the breath I've been holding.

"Would you like to kiss? Me, I mean?" I wet my lips and I close my eyes, but after a second, I peek for his reaction.

"You want to kiss? Me? With tongue?" he responds.

I shrug, "Why not? I've always wanted you to be my first kiss."

He rolls over to his side and props himself up on his elbow, "Sure, let's do it."

I mirror him and roll on my side too. I'm swipe my tongue across my bottom lip to wet it again, my mouth has suddenly gone dry. Oh gosh why did I suggest this, are my lips chapped? Auggie starts to lean forward, and I meet him halfway. As soon as our lips connect, I feel the butterflies. His arms wrap around my waist, and he pulls me closer, so we are chest to chest. His lips are soft and full, I'm really hoping he's feeling the same thing. Softly I feel his tongue caress my lips like he's asking permission to enter. I willingly open my mouth as he explores my mouth. His tongue feels awkwardly nice. I can feel his tongue graze the roof of my mouth and it tickles. I giggle a little and we both pull apart and we are both grinning.

"How was that?" he asks shyly.

"It was good, really good."

"It was, wasn't it. I'm glad that your first kiss was with me."

"Yeah"

"Yeah", he responds. I'm silent for a minute deciding if I should say what I'm currently thinking. We both of been through sex ed so I know what sex is and obviously I have friends that are sexually active, but during class they always to tell us if we are going to have sex that it needs to be with someone you care about, and they care about you. When I think about that person, I always think of Auggie.

"Auggie, I want you to be all of my firsts when I'm ready. I can't imagine them being with anyone, but you. I'm not ready, but I trust you. Some of my friends have started having sex. I'm not ready for that, but I really want you to be the first person I have sex with.", I hold my breath and wait for him to respond.

He's silent for a minute and I think he's going to say no. Maybe what I've always felt with him is not right, but he says, "Me too, I want you to be my firsts too", and I can breathe again.