Chapter 12: Two's Company and three's a crowd

River: Age 18

I can't believe I'll be graduating this year. I remember wishing for time to pass faster, but now I'm kind of wishing it would slow down. It's the summer before I start senior year and we are all going to Maine for our Senior trip. Our parents have rented a huge house on the water, and we will be doing all kinds of fun things. We have a clam bake on Cabbage Island which looks so yummy, we will be visiting some of the light houses. The only downer is that Melissa and her family are here. I was trying to be an adult and not threaten to not come if they did. I figured we could both get along for one last time, you know like a last hooah rah. I mean how bad could it really be. Logan brought his girlfriend. They have been on and off for the last year and a half. She's nice, but she seems a little off. Melissa brought one of her friends Meredith. I wanted to hang out with Auggie, so I just made sure that he wasn't bringing anyone. He'd been good at keeping his girlfriend's away from me while I was around. I didn't think he'd bring a girl, but maybe another guy friend. I really wanted to spend some time with just him and I. I got us reservations for us to go to Acadia state park to see the sun set. I've always loved watching the sun rising and setting and I thought it would be fun to just do that with him. Our moms have an open itinerary, where we are only schedule for one thing a day and the rest of the day we can do want we want. As we've gotten older, they've learned they've had to be more open to changes.

The place we are staying has one of those obstacle course floaty things where you can climb on it and play around. I'm using it to layout to work on my suntan. Most everyone got here last night, but Logan's family is coming today. They should be here any minute. It's an easy day. Hanging out by the water while the parents grill and drink beer. There is a boat we can use later. I'm sure once Aunt Jess and them get here and get settled we will take turns on the water. I've been laying at the top of the obstacle course for a while. Melissa and her friend were up here earlier, but when I got up here, they went and got on the dock. I thought good, I didn't want to hang out with them anyway.

I see Auggie heading from the house. He went in earlier to get something to eat. I have my sunglasses on so I can admire him without being noticed. He's toned up this year with all the baseball camps. He got his hair cut right before coming here. His facial features are sharper than they were. He's almost lost all his baby face. Not quite, but close. My gaze travels down to his v. God he is so damn sexy. I definitely appreciate the work he's been putting in. He's stopped by Melissa and her friend. He laughs at something they say and I hear her cackling. I take a deep breath. I'm trying to be nice. I close my eyes and start counting back from fifty. I feel some moment and I hear his voice before I see him. I know I'm zoning out, but I don't care. His voice started changing when we were fifteen, but I feel like it's gotten deeper since the last time I seen him. I could listen to his deep timber voice for hours, but I know he's expecting a response. "What'd you say?", I respond. He plops down next to me. He's all sweaty, but I don't mind one bit. "I asked you if you wanted to race me on this thing. It's been a while since we've done anything like this."

"Sure, but I want to do a practice run.", I tell him. He laughs at me.

"What?", I question.

"I just knew you were going to want to do that."

"Well, you've already been through, it's only fair." I raise one brow at him. He holds his hand out as he pulls me up.

"Okay, okay, have your turn, if you think it will help.", I know he's trying to egg me on.

I get up and start to stretch. My muscles are tight.

"Are there any rules?" he smirks. Oh gosh, I don't trust him. "No rules.", he responds.

"You dirty dog.", I narrow my eyes at him. I know he's going to cheat. I jump in the water. It's easier to get to the start just to swim. Here goes nothing.