Chapter 22: Wish us well, the rest can go to hell

River

"Are we going after the hard stuff or we sticking to beer?", my uncle laughs. I lean my forehead against the window and respond, "What would you drink if you were me?", I wipe my eyes. He laughs again. "Girl, I don't think there is anything strong enough."

"I think you're right; I don't think there is anything strong enough." We stay silent until he breaks it with a topic I don't want to discuss making me a hypocrite.

"I heard congratulations are in order.", I turn my head to look at him he looks at me and then back to the road.

"What are you talking about?", playing dumb.

"Auggie said that you're married. When the hell was that and why was I not invited?", my Uncle Eddie not ever wanting to beat around the bush.

"Oh that." playing innocent.

"Yes that! Riv what the hell?" joking with me.

"I'm married, you remember Baxter?" I know in my uncle's eyes I don't have reason to be crying.

"Is that the kid that was with you at your graduation?"

"Yeah, well that's him, my husband." I put on a fake smile.

"Really, that's all you have to say." he scolds me.

I sit up in my seat. I knew I was going to have to explain myself, but I feel like I need to have this discussion with Auggie first.

"My mom knows, I wasn't really talking to anyone back then, so I asked my mom to keep it quiet. It's the least she could do."

"I'm not going to say that doesn't hurt. I've always thought of you as a daughter and I would have loved to be there with you to celebrate, but I get it. I do think there's a lot that you and Auggie need to discuss." He opens his center console and grabs a napkin and hands it over.

"Apparently." I say while I wipe under my eyes.

"Hey, Mrs. Baxter." I hang my head down in shame. I know I don't have the right to be jealous, but it doesn't mean I'm not still hurt. My heart aches. Did I think he would be a choir boy? No, but he knew how I felt about Melissa. I know I shouldn't be surprised; I mean I did catch her and him kissing at prom. I seen them together at my dad's funeral. Why did I think they wouldn't be together now? Especially the lengths she would go to keep him in her life. It doesn't matter, all I can give him right now is friendship and being his partner.

"Hey," he waits until I look at him. "I missed you kiddo, everyone did. I know Auggie really missed you." That brings on another round of tears. He pauses thinking about something. "When you went off to the Army, it didn't just affect you and Auggie, it affected the whole family. I know you had your reasons, but I just wanted you to know there has been a huge hole left in your absence. Everyone is excited your back home." He waits until I've pulled myself together. I know I'm avoiding certain conversations. There was a time when I was mad at our parents too. I need to speak with them too. After I speak with Auggie. Auggie first then the parents.

"Tequila.", I smirk wanting to change the subject. I just don't want to talk about it yet. It looks like I will be having my talk with Auggie sooner rather than later.

"Oh no!" he groans knowing I'm answering his initial question, "I remember how your mom used to get when she drank tequila. Don't make me have to carry you home."

"Don't worry, I'm feeling like some margaritas. I'm going to try to be sweet without being too salty tonight."

"You're the boss. Maybe you can even get your Aunt Connie to drink one with you."