Chapter 38: Home

River

So, shit didn't exactly hit the fan. Well at least not yet. It's been a few weeks since Auggie and I spoke about everything. Since then, we've been working every day on our cases, which has kept us pretty busy. He did reach out to his ex-partner, and she said she did have something to tell him, but she needed to do it in person. Today was the first day that both of them had a free day. He had to drive down to St. Louis. I'm very curious to hear what she says.

In the meantime, I have continued to speak with both my Captain and the District Attorney to draw up an agreement so that JD will receive full immunity. I've also spoken with JD about this. He will do whatever I ask of him, I know he's a little nervous, especially now that he has a family. I knew the next call I'd get would be from his wife. She called crying. I understand. She doesn't want to lose her husband; she doesn't want her baby to lose their father. I promised her that I would not say or do anything until I'm one hundred percent sure that there is no way this could come back on JD. After we spoke, I think she felt a lot better. I know he has done a lot of work to be a better man. I don't want him to get into any trouble. I won't take the deal to him until I allow an attorney to read through to make sure it's a solid agreement and I've offered to send the deal to him, and he can have his own attorney look over it.

My mom has been trying to get a hold of me. I sent her a message letting her know I'm mad at her and when I'm ready to talk to her I'll let her know. I'm hurt right now, and I don't want to say things I may regret later. Also, I just not ready. I called both my sister and brother and gave them a heads up just in case she called them. I've changed my locks so her key to my house won't work anymore. One day I came home and Aunt Connie and her were sitting on the porch, I just kept driving. Auggie told me I could hang out at his house, but there's no way I would want to be anywhere Melissa lived. That led to a conversation that Auggie would sell his house. He doesn't want to live anywhere I won't come to visit. I know he's talked to his mom since the morning when the moms came over. He tells me they just want to apologize, but I'm not ready for an apology. I want to wait to see how they react when I put Melissa behind bars. He agrees right now I can't trust them to be on my side. They say they are sorry, but I don't trust that.

Auggie's been staying with me. The first couple of nights I made him go back to his house, but then Melissa started to text him and leave him voicemail messages threatening me. Who knows if Melissa will manipulate someone else into attacking me. Auggie wanted to block her, but I've convinced him to keep them as evidence just in case she tries to pull something. He has already filed a restraining order on her. I can't file one on her since she had one filed against me already. He's been staying in the guest room. I'm trying to keep it as professional as much possible, but I won't lie, it's nice to have someone here. We eat dinner every night while we are binge watching Rookie Blue, one of my favorite's series.

~~

Today I'm working at my desk. I just got out of meeting with the DA. I have a headache and I need some Aleve. I forgot to refill the bottle in my bag. I'll just check Auggie's desk to see if he has any in his desk. I walk around to his side and pull the bottom drawer out, but all I see is case files. I close that drawer and open the middle drawer and see a bottle. I quickly opened the bottle and shake two in my hand. I close the bottle back up and put it back in its place when I notice a frame that is face down. I remember back to my first day when I saw him throwing a frame in his desk. My stomach drops out. What if it's a picture of him and Melissa. I know they were nothing, but it would hurt knowing he would keep a picture of her. I'm shaking, I shouldn't even be in his desk, but that doesn't stop me, I need to see what picture was so important to him that he felt he had to hide it from me. As soon as I make contact, I squeeze my fingers to grip the frame and pick it up. When I turn it over to see what the frame holds, I almost drop it. It immediately brings tears to my eyes. It's the picture his mom took of us at his eighth birthday party when we both dressed like our favorite superheroes. In the picture we are hugging each other with big smiles on our faces. That was before Melissa took my thunder with her gift. Why would he have this on his desk? Why would he want to hide it from me? I wipe the stray tear from under my eye and place it back in his drawer. I grab my two pills and go back over to my chair. I get my water and swallow the pill down. I shake off my thoughts. I'll ask him about the picture later.