Chapter 28: Hey good lookin'

River

I pull up to the airport where you pick up. I see Baxter waiting for me. His flight landed earlier than planned. I get closer and rolldown the window, "Hey good lookin' are you needing a ride!" I had planned on parking and meeting him by baggage claim with a sign, but that clearly wasn't going to be happening. I put my car in park and pop the trunk so that he can put his luggage in the back. I get out and jump in his arms and give him a big bear hug.

"Missed you Baxter." He squeezes me back and lets me down. "Missed you too Rhondy."

We both hop back in the car and start heading back to Hannibal.

I turn my head to look at him, "Do we need to stop anywhere before we get on the interstate?"

"Naw I'm good. I may take a nap though. I'm wore out. The lady who sat next to me on my flight here talked my ear off. I didn't get any sleep."

"Sounds good, I'll wake you when we get there."

~~

I pull up to my house. That feels weird to say. I own a house. Auggie and Mackey helped me move in last week. It's nothing fancy, it's in one of the older neighborhoods so I got a good deal on it. It does need some upgrades, but the backyard was worth it, and I have the money I have saved from the army to upgrade what I don't like. Auggie has been helping do some of the painting and handyman work since I moved in. He has been staying in the spare bedroom since most of the work is done after we get off work and we have had a few beers. He's started carrying an extra bag of clothes with him for when he stays over. I'm beginning to get used to him in my space. Growing up we got snippets of time together in the same space when we did things as a family or when we went on vacation. The rest was through text and phone calls. I've basically seen him every day since I moved to Hannibal. It's like he's evaded my space and I'm not sure what to think. This is what I was hoping for, but at the same time I'm keeping him at arm's length. I think I'm waiting for him to show me that chooses me. I want to tell him about Melissa, but my fear is that he is going to defend her and not believe me. If he does that it will crush me. I bring myself out of my thoughts, not wanting to think about that right now.

I shove at Baxter's shoulder to wake him up. "Wake up sleepy head."

"Sorry Riv, I didn't mean to sleep the whole time."

"No worries, you obviously needed it."

"Yeah, I did." Rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

"Let me help you bring your stuff in and I'll show you where you will be sleeping."

He scoffs, "You mean I won't be sleeping in the bed with my wife." He chuckles. Some days I wish I really wish I was his wife, and he was my husband. It would be so much easier and probably better for my heart, but I know neither of us have those types of feelings.

I slap in on the back of the head. "Watch it mister." I laugh at him. "Let me show you your room and I'll show you around."

We walk through the door, and I take him to the room he'll be staying in. Auggie and I have already pulled the carpet up and I was pleased when the hardwood floor underneath was in perfect condition. I can't believe people would cover the floors with carpet. I'm hoping all the floors look as good as the ones in this bedroom and the master. We painted both rooms a nice neutral gray color. I really like the gray I chose and want to use it throughout the house. Baxter doesn't know it yet, but he's going to help me paint all the other things.

"Wow Riv this looks good. Did you do this or was it like this?" I tell him I've only got the two rooms done so far.

"That's where you come in" I point at him, "Guess what we will be doing this week while you're here?" I say with a cheeky grin.