Chapter 37: Losing her

Auggie

I pull up to work hoping to catch River before we go in. By the time the moms left, I barely had enough time to run home, take a shower and change clothes. I had to leave before she came back to the house. I want to make sure she's okay. I know we need to talk, and I'd like to do that today. I don't want to put it off any longer. Now that we have everything out in the open, I'd like to talk about where we go from here. I know I have a lot of groveling to do. I just hope she gives me the chance to grovel. I can't lose her from my life again. Everything is so crystal clear now. How the fuck could I not see through Melissa's shit? I'm a detective for crying out loud. And our mom's. I shake my head at myself. I go ahead and head in when I get to my desk I run into Mackey.

"Is it true River broke psycho's nose?" I whip my head around.

"How do you know about that?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"Oh shit, it's true then. She had it coming." He holds his fist up and laughs. "Psycho came in this morning and filed a report against River. As soon as River got here this morning the captain pulled her into his office. They've been in there for about ten minutes." I stop listening when I hear where she is and head in the direction of his office. I can't believe this shit! River is not getting into trouble, especially over hitting Melissa. Mackey's right Melissa had this coming. I don't knock, I just walk in. My captain looks up and River turns around her eyes widen. I don't wait for either of them to say anything.

"I don't know what Melissa said, but River was just defending herself. I witnessed the whole thing. She's lying." My boss rolls his eyes.

"I know Auggie. It doesn't matter I still have to question her. It's standard procedure." He gives me a stern look.

"Well, I'm willing to write a statement on River's behalf." I state.

"Good to hear, but I don't think that will be necessary. But I'll let you know if we do." He looks at River, "I think we are all done here. I'll let you know River." He gives her a nod like he's sending a different message. She nods in return and gets up from the chair. As we walk back to our desk I ask her, "What was that?"

"He had questions about last night. I answered them." She simply states.

"No..." I start, but I realize whatever it is, she doesn't want me to know. I have to respect that until I can earn her trust again. I'm grateful she trusted me with who attacked her, and I need to trust that she made the right decision not turning the guy in. She's right. I went to school with JD since elementary and I would have never guessed he could have been capable of doing something like that to River. It doesn't mean I don't want to beat the shit out of him though. We reach our desks, and the guys start acting like they're in a boxing match. River just shakes her head and laugh's. Mack comes up to her side and puts his arm around her. I know he would never go there, but I can't help the jealousy. I want to have ease with her again. I know I'm the one who ruined that.

"Now I know why Baxter calls you Rhondy." Mack laughs at his own joke. She just laughs along with him. She doesn't make a move to remove him. "She fucking deserved it though." Mackey tells her as he looks down at her. I feel my hands fist on both sides. She nods, "You have no idea how long I've wanted to do that. It did feel good." she chuckles.

"Are you in trouble?", he asks. She shakes her head, "No it was considered self-defense since she was on my property. The captain spoke to some of my neighbors, and they confirmed that they heard me telling her to leave. Plus, Auggie confirmed my statement." He lifts the arm off her shoulders, and I feel like I can breathe again. He raises his hand up for a high five and she returns it.

"I'm predict a lot of pats on the backs and high fives today. There are a lot of people who don't like her." He smirks and then he walks back to his desk.