Chapter 14: The fallout

Auggie

It's been two weeks since prom, two weeks since River was attacked, two weeks since I've spoken with River. This is the longest we have ever gone without talking. I've been stalking her Facebook page, but she hasn't been online, she hasn't posted. I stayed at the hospital hoping and waiting for her to let me go see her. One of the hardest conversations I had to have was with her dad knowing I wasn't there to protect his little girl.

After her dad cooled down from the initial shock of seeing River laying in that hospital bed, one that I still hadn't been able to see, he asked to speak with me. He wanted to know what happened from my side of things. I was truthful with him but asked him not to tell her about Melissa. I asked him if he would speak with her and give me a chance to see her. Just once. If anyone could talk her into letting me see her it was her dad. Later that day he came out and told me she agreed to see me. They were allowing more than one visitor in now and Uncle Kendall walked me back to her room. My hands got sweating as we got closer. Before we reached her door, he stopped me, "she looks really bad Auggie, you have to stay strong Auggie. Okay buddy."

"Okay. I'll try." I shake my hands out. I know I have to hold it in.

We walk the rest of the way in, and he opens the door and I get my first glance of her. I hold in my gasp as I stand there stock still.

Uncle Kendall whispers in my ear, "Remember you have to stay strong." And then in his regular voice he addresses his baby girl. "Hey baby girl, I'm here if you need me okay. Auggie's in here." She nods and walks out and shuts the door giving us privacy. We stare at each other for what seems like forever. Both of her eyes are still swollen shut. She has a neck brace on. The left side of her face looks swollen, and she has a busted lip. I see her arms have bruises all up and down of them. I finally shake out of my haze and walk over to her. I go to grab her hand. I need to touch her and hug her, tell her how sorry I am, but she pulls back from my grasp. My heart is hurting. Her dad said she doesn't blame me, but why is she doing this. I need to find out.

I start," I'm so sorry River, I should have been there with you. I'll never forgive myself. Please tell me how I can fix this." She cuts me off and looks straight in my direction, "I just need the truth Auggie."

"Okay" I say slowly.

And then she asks the one thing I can't answer her with the truth, "Where were you?" She doesn't have to go into detail on what she's asking, but I can't tell her. It would hurt her even worse, so I lie to her for her own her and I tell her, "I realized I had to go to the bathroom after you went in, so I decide..." she cuts me off, "Get out." She says in a low steady voice.

"What?" I'm confused. I just got here; I need to see her.

"You heard me," She says a little be louder, "Get out!!" she yells it loud enough that her dad can hear. He comes back in and without another word he drags me out of her room. I'm fighting to stay in there. "River what did I say, please let me stay, please. I need to see you, please." I break and I'm full out bawling now. I've always been River's go to person, why is she shutting me out. When he has me back in the waiting room and I've calmed down, he lets me go, "Sorry son, you know I love you like a son, but I can't go against her wishes." He holds his hand up. "All she's said is she doesn't blame you for her attack. She didn't want you to see her like that. Maybe it was a little much for her. Just give her time. She'll come around. She always does with you." And then he turns around and walks back towards her room.

She refused to see me the remainder of the time she was in Hannibal. The doctors kept her another two days before they released her, and she went home with her mom and dad. I've tried to call her phone and it goes straight to voicemail. My parents have asked me to give her time. They did tell me that she wasn't raped, that she fought and got away before he could rape her. I'm so proud of her and so relieved. Not that what she went through wasn't traumatic. I've asked around asking if anyone knew who did it and no one knew anything. The last thing everyone seen was me walking her to the bathroom and then I disappeared. River confirmed that her attacker was not me, but I did have to tell the police who I was with. Who ever thought I would need an alibi? Let's hope River doesn't read the police reports.

~~

Today is graduation and I don't feel like going. I feel like I'm just going through the motions. I'm only going today for my parents, I could care less at this point, but I know they deserve to see me walk across that stage. River should be graduating too, but who knows if she will. I know she didn't go to her prom. My mom called and asked if she still wanted to go, but she said no. Not that I figured she would. Logan is dragging me to an after-graduation party. I'm not in the mood, but it will be the last time I'm able to hang out with all my friends before we head to college. Speaking of college, I know River is avoiding me now, but she can't avoid me forever. We will be going to the same school at the end of August. I'll make her talk to me if she doesn't talk to me before then.

I'm sitting on my bed, I grab my bag that is still full of my prom clothes. Logan had dropped it off last week, but I haven't really gotten the gumption to unpack everything. I unzip and see my tux jacket. I pull it out and lay it on my bed, when I do something falls out of my inner pocket. I look down and see River's clutch. I had been holding it when she went to the bathroom.

I open her clutch and find her phone and a piece of paper falls out with something written on it. It has my name. I know before I open and read whatever is on the paper it's going to destroy me. I take a deep breath and face my punishment.

"Auggie,

I know I said I wanted to wait until we were older, but I realize that sometimes you know, you know. God I'm going to sound so cheesy but who cares. I wish I could say this all out loud, but I thought it would be better if I wrote it down, so I said everything I wanted to say so I wouldn't forget anything. I'm guessing you are asking why did I change my mind?

I recently talked to someone who told me to quit wasting time. We aren't promised tomorrow. That one sentence changed everything for me. She asked me if I woke up tomorrow and you did not what would I regret? My answer, I would regret being so scared to have a relationship other than friendship with you. Scared that I wouldn't be enough for you for the rest of our lives. That eventually you would realize that I wasn't truly who you wanted. So, I'm asking you to be my boyfriend. I was going to write check yes or no. Told you this was cheesy but instead I made you a boyfriend bracelet. It's better than a friendship bracelet because it means you get to kiss me anytime you want.

I don't want to force this on you, if you don't want the same thing, I will be okay. You are my best friend and I always want you to be in my life. You may not be ready and that's okay, I just wanted you to know I was. When and if you are ready, all you have to do is put the boyfriend bracelet on and I guess you'll be my boyfriend. Now don't make this awkward.

Love your River"

I finish the letter and my hearts' in a thousand pieces. I hear my phone ding with a text notification. I almost don't look, but I do and just when I don't think my heart can't shatter anymore it does with the two text I see.

Logan: River knows about Melissa on prom night.

A second later the last bomb explodes.

Logan: Oh shit, have you looked at her Facebook page.

I can't think about his first comment, I skip to his second one. I drop my phone in my haste to pull open Facebook and search for her name, but nothing comes up. Logan doesn't have to clarify who her is. She must have blocked me.

Auggie: She's not pulling up for me. Send me a screenshot.

I finally get the screenshot and there standing in the middle of two soldiers; who I'm assuming are recruiters, is River in her cap and gown. Her eyes are no longer swollen, but you can still see the yellowish bruising about them. I'm gasping for air. I'm confused, I don't know what this means. Logan's next text takes what was left of my heart.

Logan: Sorry man, she's gone. She left for boot camp right after her graduation today. 

I'm trying to post as many chapters as possible, but some of them as I am editing and proofing I feel like sometimes the story needs to change which takes a little bit of time. I appreciate you taking the time to read my story.

Thanks for reading Auggie and River's story. I appreciate the support.