Chapter 21 Psycho

Auggie

I'm so mad. I walk over to the cooler and grab a beer. I pull out my phone and shoot off a text to Logan.

Auggie: You've been talking to River the whole time?

I know I'm being irrational; I don't expect to see a response from him. He knows I'm mad. He lied to me. When River first left, I asked him repeatedly if she had reached out and he always said no. I know he was just as hurt as I was that she left and cut off all communication, now after all this time I find out he's always been able to reach her.

Logan: We'll talk tomorrow.

That's all he wants to say. I pull the tab of my beer can and down about half of it. I don't want to get drunk tonight, but I also don't not want to get drunk. I wasn't planning on going home tonight not after my earlier call. I don't want to have to deal with that. I already told Mackey I would be staying in his guest bedroom.

I look up and see River walk out. She's only gotten prettier in the years that she's been gone. She glances my way as a gesture to see if I'm okay. I hate that I just blew up on her. It wasn't her fault. She's right, she couldn't trust me. I'm not going to lie and say it doesn't hurt, but I know I hurt her badly. The past week has been nice just being able to hang out with her. We still haven't talked about anything, but I know we will eventually. She said she wasn't running anymore. I'm happy about that. I need to be able to explain my side. I never wanted to see her hurt.

I see her making it my way, beer in hand.

"I see you're still drinking Natty Lite." Trying to open up the conversation.

"I already told Mackey not to be making fun of my beer choice. Now you too!" She laughs, but I know its strained. I shouldn't have blown up like that at her.

I grab her free hand and intertwine our pinkies and squeeze it. It's a gesture I've always used when I'm apologizing. "I'm sorry I blew up on you earlier. I guess I was mad that for all these year Logan was able to talk to you and I wasn't, and Logan told me that he didn't talk to you."

"In his defense, it wasn't right away. It was around the same time my dad passed way." I look down, pissed that I had let another chance slip through my hands to talk to her.

"Don't feel bad Aug, it was a rough time for me. I needed a friend to be there for me and you were with Melissa."

"I wasn't with Melissa." I argue.

She shakes head, "That's not want it looked like to me."

"I wasn't, she rode down with us for the funeral. She was dev.."

"It doesn't matter Auggie, I was just trying to say that I needed someone, and you seemed occupied, Logan was there.", she shrugs.

"So, you needed me and once again I wasn't there for you." I'm disgusted with myself.

"Don't; it's okay Auggie, it was okay. I got through it and it's one of those things that has made me stronger because of it."

"Don't be mad at Logan, I don't think he did it to piss you off." She says defending him.

"You're right." I agree. We're silent for a minute.

"You think your mom will make some of that corn dip for tomorrow?" she changes the conversation.

"She usually does, but I'll text her just in case she wasn't planning on it."

Mackey comes up behind her as I pull out my phone to text my mom. "Hey Baxter, you want to play a game of corn hole?"

She gives me one more good look before she turns towards the cornhole boards. Mackey turns to me, "You decide what you're going to do yet?", he questions.