Chapter 6: Body Changes on vacation

Auggie: Age 14 

This summer the "family" vacation was Gulf Shores, Alabama. I was so excited to get to hang out with River. We facetime and talk every day, but between softball and baseball tournaments are parents were busy. I haven't got to see her in person since her birthday and we didn't even get to spend the day. We only stayed a few hours. Our parents chose this weekend to vacation since both River, Logan, and I were playing in the same tournament this weekend nearby and we would just stay down through the week after the tournament is over. Our families have rented a huge house right on the beach to hang out. Another one of our parents finds. My mom has our itinerary already planned out, emailed out and printed for us to follow. Movies have been chosen to watch and activities have been scheduled. I haven't gotten to watch River play for a while but we both play the same position as catcher for our teams, so we always like to trade tips and things we learn that works from the camps we both attend. I am hoping between the games I can watch her play.

My family arrives to the ballpark I've been texting with River the whole why down here.

Auggie: We just got here how far out are you?

River: 15 minutes out

Auggie: Do you want us to wait for you all in the parking lot?

River: You better not, you need start warming up

Auggie: Yes coach

Auggie: See you at the dug out

River: What field are you are playing at?

Auggie: 7

River: Lucky # 7 Wink

Auggie: I don't need luck

River: See ya soon

I tell my parents they are almost here, and that they will meet us at the field. River doesn't have a game until tomorrow, but her and her family came down early to watch Logan and I play today. We start heading towards the ballfield that my team will be playing on. There is a game currently going on. There are a few other teammates already here stretching and warming up. Logan rode with my family, his dad couldn't get off work today so they will be arriving tomorrow. Logan is our pitcher, and I am the catcher. They call us the dynamic duo. Just then I hear my name being screamed and there is only one person who would do that. When we make eye contact, she drops her chair she's carrying leaving her dad to pick it up and takes off and jumps in my arms. She slides down my body and steps back. She's gotten taller since the last time we seen each other. She must have gone through a growth spurt. She's wearing one of my team's baseball shirts with three quarter sleeves, she turns around and points to her back and my last name is on the back. She had a pair of cut off jean shorts, a pair of flip flops with toes painted red. Her golden hair is in its usual softball style; two French braids. "Hey Aug" she has a wide grin on her face. Logan comes up beside me and gives her a hug too. "Where's my shirt Riv?" Logan pouts. "Don't worry Logan, I got you covered" Her family is just making it to us. She grabs Brock by the shoulders and turns him around. "Alright my man" Logan lifts his palm to give Brock a high five. "I thought you all were still fifteen minutes out?" "I lied, I wanted to surprise you." giving me a wink "So, are you all ready to play?" River asks. "Yeah, we start in thirty minutes," I look over and see my coach has arrived and started to pull out his gear meaning he's getting ready to start. I look back at River, "we should start warming up too." I pull her into another hug and let her go. "See you after the game" "Okay, good luck!" She sing songs and starts walking towards where are families have set up their chairs.

~~

We are in the bottom of the 6th inning. It's a close game, but we are up by 2. We have the field, so we are trying to hold the other team from scoring any more runs. Even though I couldn't see River, I could definitely hear her. She has no shame. The umpire yells, "Strike!", as I catch the ball in my glove. It's our third out and the team starts to jog into the dugout and prepare to bat. I just take off my helmet for right now until we get closer to me batting. I don't want to get all my catchers gear all taken off and then have to go back out on the field. One of my teammates leans over, "Man River has gotten hot this summer." All my teammates know River is my best friend. She has come to several tournaments over the years. I scowl at him, "back off".