Chapter 20: Natty Girl

River

I'm so nervous about tonight. I know Mackey has good intentions, but I'm not sure. Everyone seems cool, but work conversations are one thing, outside of work is another. I know we would do stuff like this when I was in the Army, but Auggie will be here tonight. We haven't hung out in a while like this. I know a lot of the guys will have their significant others with them. I wonder if Auggie will bring his girlfriend. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it through that. I know I am married, but I think it will always be hard to see him with anyone. I'm sure it will be hard for him to see me with Baxter. At least if he cares about me. Maybe he doesn't. I know I've been avoiding the subject. It took a lot for me to move here. Out of sight out of mind, well at least when I was busy. If I don't see him with anyone else, I can continue to pretend he's not with anyone. Ugh!

I've changed my outfit several times. I think I've settled on a trucker t-shirt, cut off jean shorts, my red chucks and I've thrown a hat on hair that I spent thirty minutes curling. Very light make up. I don't need any of the women to think I'm trying to lure their man in. I know it might get a little chilly tonight, so I have a flannel I'm going to bring with me. If I remember correctly, it's one of Auggie's old ones. I hope he doesn't notice. It's one of the few things I took with me when I joined the Army. It used to bring me comfort. I am hoping maybe it can do the same thing for me tonight. I may need it.

I hear my phone chime.

Auggie: Don't you dare chicken out.

He still knows me so well even after all this time. We exchanged numbers earlier this week. Most of our exchanges have mostly been work related, but after today I could feel some of my walls coming down. I know we need to talk. We didn't talk after my attack, and I feel like there has to be more to the story. Neither of us have talked about it, but its about time we do. I just don't know how I will take his reaction and that's what is causing my resistance. I might just have to bite the bullet.

I'm running a little late, but I didn't want to be the first one there.

River: Don't worry, this chicken will be there in about fifteen minutes.

Auggie: Just making sure. See ya when you get here.

I guess it's time to pull up my big girl pants and get on with tonight.

~~

When I pull up, I see most of everyone is here. There are a lot more people here than I expected. I brought my own beer, and I made some pasta salad. I'm running about thirty minutes late. I get out of the vehicle and grab my stuff. I walk up on the front porch adjusting everything so that I can knock when the door swings open, and I see Mackey's smiling face. It's contagious, I'm smiling back.

"I told you not to bring anything", he says while grabbing the pasta salad.

"Come on in, everyone is out in the back. I'll add this to the table. We waited to eat, Hunt said that you would be about fifteen minutes late."

"Sorry."

"No problem, I've been grazing for the past hour. It's these other people you're going to have to worry about." He laughs at himself.

"Where can I put my beer?" I ask while following him.

"You can put it in the fridge, nobody will touch it."

I walk to the fridge and find space to slide in my six pack while I grab one and open it.

"Oh wow you're a Natty girl?"

"Sure am." I point at him, "I don't want to hear anything, I like it." He holds his hands up.

"I didn't say anything, I like a Natty girl." He winks at me. "Let's go outside and get you introduced."