Chapter 27: Then you need to act like it.

Auggie

"Where's River today?" Mackey asks seeing that I'm riding solo.

"She took the week off. She had to drive down to St. Louis to pick up her husband." I'm a little nervous to meet him. She showed me a picture of him, I'm jealous this guy has had her the last five year even if it was only as friends, but on the other hand I know he's important to her, so I want to make a good impression. I want to tell Mackey about their relationship. She hasn't told anyone on the team that I'm aware of. She asked me not to say anything to anyone about her marriage, especially if he was going to meet everyone. Nobody needed to know his or her business. That's between them, but she did say I could tell Mackey about them getting a divorce.

"How do you feel about that?" he inquires.

I shrug, "I'm good with it." I pause not knowing if I should tell Mackey her business. I know he notices somethings off. He saw me after I found out she was married. I know he can see right through me.

He narrows his eyes at me, "You seem to be doing well knowing that her husband will be here." He pauses gauging my response. He doesn't get the reaction he's looking for. "Good thing River is all moved into her new house. Maybe they can christen it." He laughs when he hears me grunt. I didn't want to say anything, but I have a feeling that he'll continue to give me shit if I don't.

"He's not going to be her husband for much longer?" I snap back.

"What do you mean?" he cocks his head waiting for me to respond.

"I think they both realized that they are better as just friends, and they made the decision to get a divorce."

"And he's staying with her while he's here?" I nod confirming. "I'm glad they'll remain friends, but that might make it a little weird this weekend, right? That still on?"

"Yes, she'd like everyone to meet him, but I don't think she wants everyone to know they are getting a divorce. She said she didn't care if I told you. She knows you can keep into yourself."

"Sure, it's her business." I just nod not knowing what else to say. He continues, "Well knowing that she's now getting a divorce, what are you going to do about it?"

"I'm not sure. I have a lot to make up for."

"Do you still love her?" he asks.

"Yeah man, I do."

"Then you need to act like that. Letting psycho live with you is not the way."

"I know I do. I've let this go on for too long." I rub my hands down my face.

"Is Melissa going to be there this weekend? Aren't they family?"

"Heck no, River would never invite her. Just because they're related doesn't mean they get along. You have no idea the shit between them growing up."

"It sounds like you're the thing that got between them. Hearing that, I can't believe you ever went there especially how you talk about how special River is."

"I know." I rub my hands down my face, knowing what I need to do, but not really wanting to deal with it. "It's just hard, Melissa was there for me when I needed someone to kick my butt in gear. I never would have graduated from college if she didn't make sure I didn't get up every morning and go to class. I feel like I owe her to at least be her friend."

"I get that, but is she who you want? Because if she's not, it's not fair to her. You know I'm not a fan, but if you have any respect for her, I would make it very clear that you do not want to be with her, like that. It might be a good idea to ask her to move out. I mean the chick feels like she has some kind of claim on you and in the year that we have known each other I have never once seen you say anything against her until River showed up. So, what's the deal?"