Chapter 35: Forgiveness

River

Auggie sits down in the recliner. I know when we spoke before about my attack I didn't go into detail about the actual attack. I had assumed he had read the report, so there was no need to explain, and he wasn't ready for what I really wanted to tell him at the time.

"I knew who my attacker was as soon as I saw him." I start. His eyes widen and I know he's about to say something but stops when I give him a look.

"The statement I had given the police officers gave the details about the attack, but I left out one important detail. As you know I didn't tell them I knew who the attacker was. To be honest I'm not sure why I didn't tell them at the time. As I was laying in my hospital bed I just kept going over and over something that he had said to me during the attack."

"What did he say?" Auggie asks.

"He said, I know you want this too; she told me you wanted this. She told me you would try to fight, but you like it rough. I just remember saying that over and over in my head. It just didn't make any sense. He said she and the only she I could think of was Melissa. Especially considering their relationship. Who else would have would have done something like that. At first, like you, I was convinced that Melissa wouldn't have done something like that, we are family. We grew up together, yeah, she did shit to piss me off, but would she really have someone attack me? But the more I thought about it, the more I thought about everything that happened that night. She's the only person it could have been who I could think of that that knew me and would want something to happen to me. I knew that I would need proof. Yeah, I could have told the cops and they could have looked into it, but I knew if I was going to claim she was the reason I was attacked, I needed proof. I needed proof that I could show everyone. Otherwise, I was afraid nobody would believe me."

"River you could have just told the police. They would have followed up. They both could be behind bars now."

"I know this sounds stupid because I'm a detective now, but I also wanted to find the guy and beat the shit out of him like he did to me. I wanted him to feel like I did, helpless. Weak. I knew I wouldn't be able to do that if I turned him in. I wanted to be the one to make him pay. I also wanted to know who she was and to see if my instinct was correct. What if it wasn't her?

"So, when I joined the Army, I soaked up all the training on hand-on-hand combat. I asked my Drill Sergeants and Sergeants to spend more time with me, because I wanted to be the best. And they did. They trained me well, so well I was able to overpower a man twice my size. And then I planned my attack." Auggie remains silent so I continue.

River 4 years earlier

"A year after I left, I had leave. During that year in my down time all I did was research him online, looking at his social media accounts. I did notice that after my attack he didn't post very often. It was mostly him being tagged in pictures of him with his family. He was smiling, but his eyes looked sad. I didn't want to read too much into it. I just wanted him to pay for want he did to me. I wanted him to hurt like he hurt me. By stalking him online I found out he went to college and where he was attending. The only thing I knew about him really is that he played football, so when I found him on the roster for a college I came up with my plan. I would go to one of his games, wait until he came out and follow him home or follow him to wherever he went. I was hoping I would be able to get him alone. As soon as I had all the details put together, I put in my request for leave hoping it was approved. I started to look for airplane tickets and places to stay that were close to the college. And I planned on renting a crotch rocket. I would be able to follow him better. I know this is crazy and not the smartest decision I've ever made. I could go to jail. Will I turn him after I attack him? I feel like I'm going crazy. What if he attacks me again and this time, he succeeds in raping me? I can't think like that. I'm prepared, I've trained for this. As soon as I receive approval, I get everything booked for my travel and get ready to go.