Chapter 33: Is she telling the truth?

River

When my plane lands, I send a message to Auggie to let him know that I'll be home in about three hours. That will give me enough time to drive home, get settled and in the right mind set before he arrives, knowing he will probably arrive early. I also send my mom a quick text that I was planning to be home soon, and I would talk to her tomorrow after work.

I had mentally gone over everything I wanted to discuss with him while I was on the flight. I even took notes to make sure I didn't miss anything. I find my car quickly and hop in. I turn on some music to jam out to for my ride home. Baxter is right I need to stand up for myself and when Auggie and I get finished with our conversation; Auggie will know exactly where I stand. I will be straight forward. I will tell him exactly what I need from him and if he can't do those things, then I will walk away from our friendship, relationship or whatever we are doing or working towards. He's expressed several times during the nights when he stays over that he would eventually like to be in a relationship with me, but I'm not quite sure we are there yet. I know we are not there yet. I still feel like he's holding back and there is still a lot he needs to do to show me that I'm his number one priority. I also haven't told him everything either. How he reacts to my news will definitely determine next steps for us. I need to be able to trust he respects my decisions.

I don't think he's engaged to Melissa. The more I think about it the more it just doesn't add up. Which is stupid on her end, but if he even starts to defend her, the conversation will be over. I do know that. I'm not going to listen to him give her the benefit of the doubt, again. There is not room for both her and I in his life. Not anymore.

~~

I had expected Auggie to arrive a little early, what I didn't expect was to see Melissa sitting on my porch waiting for me. How did she even know I'd be home? I wonder how long she's been here, or did someone tell her?

I get out of my vehicle and pull my bag out of the back seat and swing it over my shoulder and head towards my front door. As I pass her, I spit out, "What are you doing here, Melissa?"

"Can't I come visit my cousin? You left the other night without saying hello." I roll my eyes at her.

"Leave Melissa. I don't have time for your shit." I say at the same time my phone vibrates notifying me I have a new message, but I chose to ignore it and instead I decide to record this conversation just in case. You never know with her. I turn around to face her at the same time as I put my phone in my back pocket. I don't want to turn my back on her, who knows what she will do, and I know she won't leave until she says everything, she came her to say. Well, I got words for her too.

"Well let's do this apparently you came here to say something. So, say it. I don't have all night. I have to get up and go to work tomorrow."

"I want you to stay away from Auggie." She demands while crossing her arms.

"Don't you think that might be kind of hard seeing as we are partners. We see each other every day."

"You can put in a request for a change in partners." I wonder if this is what she did to Auggie's previous female partner, thinking back to a comment that Mackey made when I first started.

"I think you've lost your mind." I just laugh. She has balls. I'll give her that. "Why in the hell would I do that?"

"Because Auggie is mine. If you don't, you'll regret it." She threatens.

"Really how is that?" I narrow my eyes at her. "You going to repeat what you did at prom to get me to run away? News flash, I'm done running."

"What are you talking about?" She claims innocence, but she seems nervous but doesn't admit to anything.