Chapter 30: Run River Run

River

I had my housewarming/meet Baxter party last weekend to introduce Baxter to everyone. He fit in with the team just like I knew he would. I think he enjoyed his time here. I know it's nice to have down time away from everything. I enjoyed visiting with him and we got a big chunk of the painting and other stuff done while he was here. Auggie would come by every night to hang out; do some work, drink beer and just bullshit. We had a lot of fun and having Baxter here helped me open up and show a side that I haven't let Auggie see yet since I been back. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

I bought an air mattress that Auggie slept on every night. Baxter offered to give him the spare room, but Auggie adamantly refused. He knew he wasn't getting in my bed. If he wanted to stay, he had to sleep on the air mattress. I'm glad they both had a chance to hang out and get to know one another. I know Baxter had a talk with Auggie about something. I have a pretty good idea what it was about, but both seemed to be getting along well, so I left it alone.

The day after the party, Baxter and I drove down to visit with his family. All of them are very aware that we are only married for legal purposes only, but they have always treated me like part of the family. I know for a long time they had hoped our marriage would turn into a real one, but I think they finally realized we would only ever be friends. I wanted to come and let them know that when Baxter and I's divorce is finalized, they won't get rid of me that easily. Baxter said that his family was worried that when it was official that I'd forget all about them. There was no way I would let that happen; they are stuck with me.

It was a nice little break away from everything and I had a lot of fun. We played a bunch of cards games. Every time I come to visit, they have to teach me the same games, but they don't act like they mind. His mom is the best cook too. All the women in my family can cook, but they all have hung out so much that they all basically use the same recipes. Baxter's mom is a phenomenal cook and is always trying something different. I'll be her ginny pig any day.

~~

I got back home yesterday, and I wish I had a few days to just be lazy, but earlier this week while I was still visiting Baxter's family, the whole family got an invitation from my Aunt Molly, Melissa's mom that they were having a get together at their house. I thought it was a little weird because they hardly ever host parties, at least not with the family. My mom encouraged me to go. I really don't want to go, but I haven't really visited with my aunt since I've been back. Regardless of how I feel about Melissa, I hate to take out my aggression for their daughter out on them. All the families were invited, including Logan's and Auggie's families. The invite stated that they were catering food from one of the best restaurants in Hannibal. I'll just make an appearance, have a free meal, skip out and appease my mom at the same time. I'll know a few people going so it shouldn't be that bad. The dress code is casual, but I'm planning to wear a sun dress. It's hot out and I need to be able to be able breath, plus I know Melissa is going to be there. I need to be looking better than her. I know it's petty, but I don't care. She brings that side out of me. Another reason I'll be going is because Logan said he would be there. I'm excited to see him. I haven't been able to see him as much since I moved here. He's been training a lot and barely gets to come home. He's also in a new relationship and I think he spends a lot of time with her. So, I'll take this opportunity to visit with him too.

I'm getting ready to go, but I hear a ping on my phone and see its text from Auggie.

Auggie: You want to ride over to your aunts together? I need to talk to you.

River: No I'll drive myself. You know I get twitchy around Melissa. I need to be able to get away if needed.

Auggie: Okay I need to talk to you as soon as I see you.