Chapter 13: Prom-forget the fairy tales

Trigger warning: Sexual assault

River: Age 18

Auggie and I always said that we would go to our Senior prom together. He would go to mine with me, and I would go to his with him. I know he was seeing a girl earlier in our senior year, but I know he broke it off a few months ago. I was kind of hurt, but I couldn't really say anything. I had been clear that I thought we should remain friends. I wanted him to have the full senior experience.

I tried to give him an out. I know that he had a lot of girls who were dying for him to ask them. His prom is this weekend, and my prom is next weekend. His parents decided to just buy him a tux instead of renting since he would be wearing the same one to both proms, just like I would be wearing the same dress to both. My parents aren't poor by any means, but that doesn't mean that they would just shell out money for two dresses that I would be wearing only once. I love my dress though. It's a blue tulle dress that is long and flowy and it makes me feel like a princess, it brings out my blue eyes too. It shows a little cleavage, I don't have big boobs, but I have what the boys would say a handful or at least Auggie. I roll my eyes at myself. I'm just going to get my hair curled to look wavy maybe pull a little up to keep it out of my face and have a natural look for my make up. I have heels to go with my dress. I don't usually wear them this high, but if my feet are in too much pain, I'll just take them off. I really want to look good for Auggie.

Tonight, I'm going to tell Auggie that I changed my mind and I want to finally be more than friends. We have less than a month and I can come up and see him a ton this summer. I know he has to head to college early for baseball training, but we could spend a lot of time together beforehand. Before we didn't want to be together because of the distance, but with us both going to the same college there will no reason why we shouldn't be together. We all decided to go to Mizzou. They were the only school that offered all three of us a full ride and we would all be close to our parents. The only thing that sucks about going to Mizzou is Melissa got in too. Auggie keeps telling me it's a big school, we probably will never run into her, but after this summer I highly doubt that.

I have a stupid corny note in my clutch asking him to be my boyfriend. I also have a new friendship-boyfriend bracelet. He told me last week that the last one I made him broke, and he needed another one.

We only have a few weeks left of high school before we both graduate. Auggie has had all my firsts. My first kiss, first oral, and we lost our virginity together. I knew he would make it special for me and he did.

I'm second guessing myself as I think about giving him my words. What if he had changed his mind? I know Auggie has went out with other girls, heck I encouraged him. I needed to know when we finally were able to get together in college that he didn't question his decision. It would be hard to see him with other girls, but I would do it so I wouldn't lose my best friend, but at least he would know where I stand. We don't keep secrets from one other.

~~

I arrived at Aunt Connie and Uncle Eddie's house last night. My parents let me leave school a little bit early so I wouldn't get in too late. Today I went with a few girls going with the other boys in our group to get my hair, make up, and nails done for tonight. I know Melissa is going in our group later, I am just grateful that she didn't show up today. Some of them I had met a few times while visiting Auggie. I had gone to a few parties with him, Auggie never left my side. He knew I hated to be alone with people I didn't know. Even if one of us had to go to the bathroom, we always went with each other.

They're all really nice and we talk about who is going with who, what their dresses look like. They talk about the theme, which sounds like "enchanted garden". It sounds like it will be really pretty.