144. 𝑰'𝒎 𝑺𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒚

Syn

I tugged the black tie around my neck and tied it. I looked like I was going to a damn funeral, but that was how I felt. Like absolute shit. Maybe I had been too harsh...

The call I got was one that could've been ignored, but all I could think about was leaving. If she truly wanted me to stay she would've stopped me and a part of me wished she had, but maybe it was for the best.

I just couldn't believe it.

Of all things to accuse me of...

Cheating?

I was more likely to pledge my life and soul to God before I stepped out on her.

It wasn't who I was and she knew who I was.

Or at least I thought she did.

I was mad. Angry even but as soon as I left the store, memories of when I had assumed she had been unfaithful floated back into my mind. I had also assumed the worst. I felt like a hypocrite for the briefest moment until I realized it was years ago and I hadn't lied to her once.

If it happened back then I could understand it, we didn't know each other as well. But now? I could have sworn we were better than that.

I at least expected a text if not a call, but I hadn't even heard from her since I left. I had hardly heard from Paris besides a couple of messages saying they were alright.

I didn't even know if she was still coming with me tonight.

After the way we left things I had just figured she wouldn't, but looking at where assumptions got us today, I decided to send her a text. It was a shot in the dark, but at least this way there would be no confusion.

Syn: Are you still coming tonight? I'm leaving in fifteen minutes.
7:02 P.M.

I set my cell phone down, my eyes falling on the picture of her on her profile picture and I sighed. A notification popped up when she replied and I picked up my phone again.

Princess: Yes. I'm waiting downstairs when you're ready.
7:03 P.M.

There was that then.

Another notification at the top of my screen caught my attention and I clicked on it. It was an email from my credit card company. My eyes glazed over the contents of the notice and when I finished, I couldn't help the guilt that crept into my chest. A refund, in the amount of everything she spent today, was sent back to my account.

"Idiot," I whispered before tucking the phone into my pocket. None of it was about the money. I didn't give a shit what she bought. She didn't have to return it just because we got into an argument. I made a note in my head to buy it back tomorrow when I had that chance and then I hesitated.

You're mad at her, I had to remind myself.

And it wasn't even truly anger that I was feeling. It was just pain— anger was just the easier cop-out than admitting that I had given someone the power to hurt me so deeply over words. It was just words yet...shit.

I was better than this.

I'd been through worse.

I sighed and walked out of the bedroom. Here went nothing. I walked through the dark halls of the palace and made my way to the staircase. I could hear her heels— pacing like she did when she was nervous, and I took a deep breath. I walked down the steps and when I made it to the usually empty banquet hall, I halted.

Cream-colored balloons were tied to the mosaic windows, the same beige-colored streamers decorating the blood-red curtains. A large white banner that read 'I'm Sorry For Being an Idiot' hung in the middle of everything and Queen stood in front of it. When she saw me, she tripped over her heel for a moment before adjusting her dress and blowing on a small birthday-decorated party horn. She held her hands out to the banner and wiggled her fingers, giving me a nervous smile. "I'm sorry."