33. 𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒𝑠 𝑃𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑠𝑒𝑠

May 8, 2023

Queen

I woke up with memories of last night's conversation with Syn fresh in my mind. Every time I thought about how stubborn he was being I wanted to strangle some sense into him but even I knew that it wouldn't work. He'd go an eternity and beyond not letting me cross any boundaries he set for himself.

I never remembered our relationship in the past being so fucking hard. Yes, he was always a hard ass but I chose to marry him. He still never opened up to me back then but...I was close. Regardless of the unspoken truths he kept to himself when I was beside him, I was his person. If we actually left for our honeymoon that night and continued on as a married couple, I was sure things would have changed.

Syn, however, wasn't so simple. He remained ever-changing in his thoughts about how far or close he'd hold me and these days it was as far as possible.

I guess I couldn't fully blame him though...I had my issues as well. Maybe I wanted too much from him.

A sudden sound of glass breaking from downstairs made me jump to my feet and storm out of my bedroom. I rushed down the steps as quickly as I could, thinking something awful had happened but when I reached the living room, I let out a sigh of relief.

Syn bounced Saint in his arms as Saint rested his cheek on his chest. Noticing my sudden presence, Syn looked over at me and gave me a curt nod and smile. "Morning."

"Hey," I said lowly as I took slow steps to the kitchen island. "I thought you were going to be gone by now so when I heard someone downstairs...I thought someone had broken in."

He chuckled softly and shook his head. "No intruders just yet. How did you sleep?"

Horrible.

"Good. You?" I sat on the stool across from where he was standing with Saint.

"Good." He nodded before giving me a small smile. It didn't quite reach his eyes and I knew he was lying but I didn't call him out on it. Not when I was doing the same thing. I didn't doubt for one second that he didn't know I was being dishonest as well. After the tense conversation last night, we were both walking on eggshells.

"He's letting you hold him now." I pointed out as I smiled at Saint who was occupied with playing with Syn's dark tie.

"For now," he replied. "He didn't let me touch him this morning until I brought up food."

"That's my son," I teased proudly.

Syn scoffed, shaking his head as he walked toward me. "Sure is. Take him for a second, will you? I dropped a glass and I need to clean it up before someone gets hurt."

I held out my arms for Saint and he leaned into my hold. His small head rested on my chest, but his grip on Syn's tie remained strong. We both laughed briefly at the image, but when Syn tried to remove his tiny hand with no luck, we both raised a brow at one another.

"Saint, I'll be right back," Syn assured him. "Let go."

He tried gently removing his hand once again but when Saint's hand didn't appear to budge, I frowned. "Syn, it can't be that hard. He's a baby."

With my free hand, I put my hand over Saint's and tried to get it off Syn. It didn't move. If anything, it became stronger, leaving me in complete shock. I looked down at Saint to see a playful smile on his small face and I sighed. "Baba, come on. You need to let go of daddy, okay?" Instead of paying any mind to what I had said, Syn's face abruptly moved closer to mine, making me jump back in my seat in surprise. "What are you doing?"