13. 𝐻𝑒𝑎𝑟-𝑆𝑎𝑦

May 1, 2023

Syn

I sipped my coffee as I held the newspaper in my free hand. The comic section of the paper was the first thing I went to and I read it with a straight face. My goal this morning was to be as inconspicuous as possible as I sat in the booth of the crowded cafe. Normally this wasn't my thing, but it wasn't hard to guess why I was here.

"Can I have a caramel Frappuccino with extra caramel and extra whipped cream?" Queen asked the barista at the counter. Ew. It sounded disgusting, but I glanced at the black coffee in my hand and wished I had gotten the same thing she did. I generally wasn't a big fan of sweets, but after D introduced me to better coffee, I was hooked.

I peered over the newspaper to see Queen pay and move off to the side with Abel. I sat and listened in boredom as Abel talked about some art gallery and Queen listened intently. I would've thought she would be bored but she seemed to be soaking it all in and conversing enthusiastically. Hmm, another change.

"We're going to Rhythm tonight," Queen said. My ears perked up at the mention of the nightclub and I raised a brow.

"The nightclub?"

"Yup." Queen played with random strands of her hair as she looked out the window. The sunlight casting a golden glow on her caramel skin. Her dark and curly hair was back to its deep brown color, but she seemed to keep the same short length that she had before. "Are you going to come?" She asked him, snapping me out of my trance.

"No. You know how I feel about clubs."

"It's for Xoe though," Queen whined. "She just launched her line AND her podcast hit two million listeners." Abel swung his head in her direction and she clasped her hands together to beg him. My jaw clenched at the idea of her having to beg for anything and I mentally willed Abel to say yes. The smile on her face would be worth a few hours of his misery.

"I'll stop by," he mumbled. Queen wrapped her arms around him excitedly and I relaxed into my seat. "What's the address?" Queen told it to him as he wrote it into his phone and I repeated it into my mind, now knowing my plans for the night.

I never thought I'd be one to stoop so low as to stalk someone, but I could t help myself. I knew it was wrong and I told myself that I'd leave her alone after the first time...but that always changed into "after tomorrow". I craved being around her. The sound of her laugh and voice alone was enough for me to forget who I was for a while.

꧁꧂

Queen

"Queen," the barista called out as she read the cup. I signaled at her and walked towards her to get my order and she gave me a bright smile. "Have a nice day."

"Thanks, you too." I kept my vision on my brother as we walked to the exit and he held the door open for me. We walked down the crowded street in comfortable silence and when we turned a corner, he looked down at me. "Do you think he heard that?"

"Most definitely."

꧁꧂

Syn

"Where have you been all day?" Hades questioned as I walked into the house. I tossed my keys onto the kitchen counter and he stuffed an obscene amount of dry fruit loops into his mouth.

"What do you mean all day? It's only four, Hades. I haven't been gone that long." I was irritated that he was all on my back the way that he was, but I couldn't truly blame him. It was my fault that he was here in the first place.