137. 𝑯𝒆𝒓

Syn

I smelled the blood floors down before the elevator doors opened to the floor Queen and I were occupying. I stepped through and a gust of wind met me. The barren lobby was littered with papers, the furniture broken or flipped, and the lights that weren't flickering were shattered. I could smell everything and everyone, except her. That's the only reason I wasn't running full speed to the room she was in. She was safe— she...I could feel her. Everywhere, somehow.

I turned to the hall where the room was and I could see black lines painting the corridor, starting thick from the floor, getting smaller, and dividing the closer to the ceiling. I placed my hand along the marks, feeling the dark magic emanating from it. It was foreign, and a bit concerning to say the least...but there was an odd comfort to it. The comfort of a home I knew long ago before I met Queen— one I'd abandoned so I could become someone worthy of her. One that could only come from energy so dark.

And unconfined.

The scent of blood grew as I neared the door. When I pushed it open, I saw the first body lying a couple of feet from the door. I recognized her from earlier. One of the nurses from the floor of doctors I had forced to come up here to check on Queen. Damn. I looked just beyond her body to see a man trembling in the corner. His pants were soiled with piss as he looked ahead and I followed his eyes to the object of his fear.

Queen.

She sat on the bed, legs crossed, a bored expression on her face. Blood stained her lips, trailing down her jaw to her clothes. I heard a muffled scream from up above and I looked up at the ceiling. Dr. Spockin, the old man I had left in charge of her care hung, his body writhing as he screamed out in pain.

I pressed my lips together in thought before closing the door behind me and walking in. "Help us!" The young man who'd peed himself yelled at me and I held a finger up to silence him. Just a moment. I needed to completely assess the situation.

I took measured steps toward the bed, stepping over the two other bodies littering the floor. "Queen," I finally spoke up when I was a few feet away from her. I glanced up at the doctor whose eyes were begging me for help and I furrowed my brows. How desperate did they have to be to ask me of all people....she must've been scary. "Princess," I spoke again when she still hadn't responded.

Her eyes fluttered to mine, the doctor's body falling to the floor with a thud as I took her focus. "I can explain."

I placed the bag of medication on the bed before smiling at her. "If you'd like."

She tilted her head, considering it before looking at me again. "I should."

I took a deep breath in, looking around on my exhale before crossing my arms. "By all means..."

"So..." she started and stopped. Her beautiful face twisted into a thought-filled one before pure confusion took over her features. After a few quiet moments, she let out a sad laugh and glanced at me, her eyes teary. "I swear I had a reason," she assured me. "I wouldn't just—" Her eyes landed on the body just past me and she let out a shaky breath. "Do this."

"Okay." I nodded slowly, looking around.

"Okay?" She asked me and I looked back at her. "Okay, what?"

"Okay....what would you like me to do?" I said carefully. "They're dead. Would a reason truly make you feel better?"

"It would."

Fine. Was this a part of the insanity my father was talking about? Would she be killing at random and then expecting a reason to justify it? I didn't care if it was, but I needed to know. I could make up a reason if I truly needed to— anything to preserve her happiness just a little longer.