93. 𝑀𝑦 𝐺𝑖𝑟𝑙

Aiden

"Oh?" She raised a brow. "I don't ever remember you being this bold."

I shrugged. "People change," I said vaguely, letting her chew on those words and hoping they were enough for now. "Is she single?"

"Mm, maybe ask her for yourself," she said.

"As her friend, wouldn't you know?"

"Sure, but that's her information to divulge as she pleases," she said. "But you want my advice?"

Not really. "Of course."

"Don't stare at her like that," she said. "She's gorgeous, I know. But girls don't like being ogled by strangers, it creeps us out."

I scoffed. "I didn't realize I was staring."

"Well, now you know." She winced, taking a sip of her drink.

I looked into the crowd, trying to find Queen yet seeing no sign of her. "I'm going to go make sure she's okay."

"Okay, lover boy." She sighed. "But just know that I have her location and the police on speed dial...in the off chance that you're not the person I remember from all those years ago, you know...since- people change...and all," she shot my words back at me.

I tensed at her threat and her smile grew. "It was a joke, Aiden. Relax."

"Yeah." I cleared my throat, standing up. I hooked my thumb in the bar's general direction. "I'm going to go check..."

She nodded, eyeing me. "Sure."

I turned around, shaking off her spot-on assessment of me, and shook my head. I headed toward the busy bar in search of Queen and when my eyes landed on her, my steps slowed. She sat at the corner of the bar, a glass of what looked like whiskey on the rocks sitting untouched in front of her as she stirred it with a straw. Her free hand propped up her chin as a faraway expression remained on her face.

I took the seat beside her and her eyes moved to me as I signaled for the bartender. "Just a water, please." He nodded and I leaned my arms onto the bar, looking beside me at Queen. "Hey...um...I'm Aiden, from- earlier."

She gave me a single nod with a small smile before looking down at the amber drink. "Earlier being two minutes ago..."

"Yeah, sorry," I said. "Queen, right?" She nodded. "It's really nice to meet you."

"Oh," she whispered. "Thanks."

I nodded and her attention returned to the glass. "So, why do you look so sad? It's your birthday, isn't it?" She shrugged. "Is it a guy?"

She raised a brow and looked up at me. "So a girl is sad at a bar and your automatic thought is that it's because of a guy..."

"Yes."

She laughed softly and shook her head. "It could be a girl."

"I'm hoping it's not a girl..."

"And why is that?"