45. 𝑇𝑤𝑜'𝑠 𝐶𝑜𝑚𝑝𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑃𝑡.2

Syn

Cleo held back the urge to push in agony while Caspian em rushed the warlock. We sat in the darkness, hearing nothing but the babies crying and Cleo screaming in pain. Her wails were terrifying. Even after as many people I had tortured in Hell, this sound didn't compare at all. It was gut-wrenching.

I stayed in the restroom with her, my arms being abused by her clawing as she sobbed. Xavier and Cas went to go get the babies settled in another room before returning to the restroom. They left the door open, hoping the light from the hall would illuminate the restroom but it didn't do much.

"Why is this happening?!" Cleo sobbed. "I'm supposed to only have two. We have two of everything! I've been to so many doctors! I don't understand." She cried and Xavier brought her head to his chest, trying to calm her down.

"Everything will be okay," he said. "Just breathe."

"I'm fucking breathing!" She roared at him yet he had no reaction. He just held her.

"Syn," Cas said. "Do you know what's going on?"

I nodded slowly as anguish built up in my chest. "Yes. But I can't explain it better than the warlock."

"Just try—"

"Fuck!!!" Cleo screeched making the mirrors in the restroom shatter. I knew then and there that waiting wasn't an option anymore and prepared myself for whatever was about to be brought into the world.

With continuous shrieks and bellows still coming from her, she pushed. Xavier and Caspian were at her sides and supported her through every second while I waited for the impending doom. Black magic always had a way of coming back for people...this was now Xavier's punishment for bringing me back all those years ago.

With a final scream from Cleo, I felt a small body in my hands and I lifted it out of the water. There was nothing but silence. Cleo's shallow breathing was louder than any noise coming from the baby. It didn't cry or wail. I would've thought it was dead if not for the small rise and fall of its chest.

"I umm..." I looked down at it, its dark eyes connecting with my own and I recognized something in them immediately that knocked the wind out of my gut.

Myself.

"W-what's happening?" Cleo questioned. "Is the baby okay?"

"He's fine," I said lowly. I cut the umbilical cord and grabbed the nearest towel to wrap around him.

"He is not fine." I heard a voice say. We turned to the door to see a cloaked man who I could only assume was Cyrus, slowly walk into the room. "He is a curse."

"What are you talking about?" Cleo asked.

The old man lifted the baby from my arms and eyed him carefully. "This creature is simply a creation of your misdeeds, Xavier Young." I looked at Xavier with guilty eyes and I watched as his expression fell. Realization began to flood his features and he buried his head in his hands as the man spoke. "There is a price to pay when you manipulate the forces beyond you. This is yours."

His words confirmed the thoughts running in my head before he got here. Xavier would have to raise a child just like me to pay back his debt to the dark magic he messed with. I was forever grateful to him for what he did, but it couldn't have been worth the pain he was about to go through.

"I understand," Xavier looked back at him.

"If you all were smart, you'd get rid of it now before it destroys you and everyone you love," he said in a small voice as he touched the baby's head. "I can discard it if you'd like...it won't feel a thing."