Chapter 29

Someone who loves you wouldn't do this...

          "...Soon after your birth it was evident that good luck was only brought to my family and bad luck was always at your father's step. He was a great warrior, a courageous leader with unquestionable skill and strategy..."

          Let her cry, let her weep,
His decision was always concrete.
Murder once, murder twice,
In the end vengeance will always rise.

          The water is closing in on me. I don't know how to swim with a long tail instead of my legs, and I don't know how to stay alive after 2 minutes pass by. I learnt in class once that an average human being can hold his breath for 3 minutes max, otherwise he will die. "Breathe. You'll need to stay alive in order to talk to the King of Cordelia." One of the mermen guards, Alex says. They had introduced themselves before I decided to allow the water to swallow me whole. I inhale at his command, though I definitely am scared. I remember when I went to the swimming pool back on earth and accidently inhaled water in panic, Wyatt had pushed me in the pool. After that incident I wanted to get rid of my throat and my nose for how annoyingly itchy and disgusting it was.
          As I inhale the salt water, it does not cause me that feeling. It's as if I am breathing air but in large and heavy amounts. I open my eyes and am dumbfounded by the beauty the sea holds. All I see is a rich blue color evading every space available, sharks and other types of fish are roaming free without a care with different mermaids and mermen that I assume are the locals. A large castle stands at the very bottom in the center, and a bridge can also be seen however it is broken. The castle itself is magnificent and ancient however some of its windows are broken and the sea is polluted with a purple aura. It smells like roses and glitter can be seen everywhere. Alex's webbed hands grip my arm tightly which startles me. "What-"
          "Shut up." is all he says as he swims with me following behind him. "Do not play any tricks here in Cordelia. You land folk are nothing but trouble." Dylan, the merman guard says as he swims behind me. I don't say anything, in fear I might piss them off and they might think of it otherwise than to let me see my father. Soon we are right in front of the Castle Azura, as they call it. The strong and muscular guards push the large doors open to the three of us "Hail and welcome." they say and upon entering I am greeted by a small mermaid. Her hair is the color of the purple aura that has concentrated in the sea. Her eyes are the shade of a bright pink, and her olive skin glistens with gold paint. Her tail is the color of pink that turns into purple at her feet. Her ears are shaped like that of an elf, and she has colossal horns that curve inward at the top of her head.

          "Arms." She commands as she starts checking me for weapons I may keep. After a brief search she nods at the guys and leads me inside. I'm not sure how to curtsy while I am underwater, so I plan on following whatever the mermaid does instead. I keep my head down as we reach the dais in order to avoid eye contact with the King for at least a little while. Get it together Sybil, you did nothing wrong. My head is a little groggy from the lack of actual oxygen, but I ignore all that is happening to me and focus on things I have practiced saying to Hector. I have to be smart about this. The mermaid manages a small bow and I pursue her.
          "You may leave, Zoey." Hector commands. I look up to meet his gaze as it pricks the hair off my head. He hates me. Yeah, he hates me for sure.
          "Your Majesty," I choke out, horrified of my voice failing me. I clear my throat and choke down the urge to burst out laughing. A small smile appears on his face as he quickly looks in the other direction, trying to hide it. "Uhm, I'm here to uh-"
          "Let's cut to the chase, shall we, daughter?" He speaks harshly as he sits upright, causing the mermen guards to look at us both. "What are you here for? We both know you didn't dare come see me ever since you came to this cursed land. Perhaps it isn't so cursed now, is it?"
          "Actually, I came here to speak to you about something important-"
          "Well then speak!" He stands up as he shouts these three words at me, causing my heart to thump loudly in my ears. I stay glued on the spot though. So much for pride. "If it is about Cora, you may leave. Dylan! Escort her out please and I don't want to see her here again!" 
          "Wait! There more to it, just hear me out father, please." I beg him. I can't believe I just called him father. The father that never wanted to do anything with me and wanted me gone. He gives me one look with hatred and holds out his hand in order to signal to his guards to stop.

          "I know what happened to Alastair and Cordelia decades ago, mom told me everything and how she was exiled. I came here anyway because I wanted to get to know my world-"
          "What are you playing at, little girl. Cordelia was meant to be your world. But you chose otherwise..." Hector says slowly, disappointment evident in his voice. I'm not sorry for what I've done at all.
          "I found out that Luke is working against us. He plans on taking over Alastair and then Cordelia. We had a battle, our forces and his, as they had kidnapped Coraline..." I am suddenly reminded of Vaughn's betrayal, and I feel like screaming and killing him with my own hands. Luke took that opportunity away from me and he is going to pay for that. I continue. "She was badly injured. In exchange for the Dragber stone that I had in my possession, he agreed to release her and took away the curse from Price Matthew of becoming a werewolf every night there is a full moon." Even though I have not seen him turn into one, I want to say.
          "However, after ceasefire, I realized Olivia and Wyatt, my best friends were missing. The battlefield was thoroughly searched but they were not found, which means they are alive. So, I threw the stone in the sea as a message for you that I am ready to negotiate." I finish, hope in my voice and on my face. He looks at me for a long while before he reaches into his pocket and pulls out the dark, luminous stone. My heart skips a beat.