Chapter 1

I wake up to the sound of the alarm going off. The cold, fresh air going through my nostrils. I hate waking up so early, especially since I have a huge test I have been cramming all week for, yet I still feel unprepared.
          "You up?" I hear Coraline, my mother coming up the stairs. She works at my school as a janitor in order to make money and although all the other kids make fun of me, I don't mind it at all. We need the money especially since I will be joining college soon, hopefully. She loves me a lot. I don't really know what happened to my dad but all I know is that she had to take some drastic measures so that I could live. I don't mind living with her though.
          "Yup." I say groggily. I really wish I didn't have to go today but it seems like I don't have a choice. I walk over to the bathroom, take a quick shower, wash my face and brush my teeth. Then I walk over to the closet and slide on a plain white T-shirt and a pair of shorts.
          Just when I am about to head downstairs for breakfast, I spot Coraline coming inside.
          "Hey Sybil, our car won't start again. Do you mind checking it out?" She sounds very worried and even if I didn't want to check it out, I have to or else I will be late for school again.
          "Again? It wouldn't start the other day at the school festival either, so Wyatt had to drive me home." She shrugs her shoulders as I sigh and walk downstairs to stuff my lunch into my bag.
          After checking up on the car I think I have an idea as to what might have gone wrong.
          "Uh, I think the battery is dead. We can replace it after school, for now we can just walk over there, or take the bus if you have cash on you?" I ask. She nods. "Just give me a second, I'm going to go find my purse and then we will be out in a minute." She smiles and runs back inside. 

          On our way to the bus stop station, she asks me something that I don't have an answer to yet. I'm nervous. "So, do you think you will get into Harvard? And how's the preparation for the test going?" I take in a deep breath.
          "I think it's going okay. They are going to tell us today if we got in or not. You know Wyatt and Olivia also applied there with me. We tend to stay together forever." I tell her, grinning as she passes me her gorgeous smile. Once we're on the bus, I plug in my earphones and start listening to a podcast while I run over some of the notes I have for the test.
          I am about to walk inside the school building when a hand comes from behind me, covering my mouth. I panic. I can't breathe. I start kicking in different directions, swinging my arms in the hope that I might injure the person trying to abduct me. Just then I hear a gasp, and then
          "Relax! It's me Livie." She says, trying to gasp for air. I'm guessing my kicks met the owner.
          "I swear, you and your pranks, I almost had a heart attack Livie!" I yell at her as she lets out a laugh. I shake my head in disappointment. I see Wyatt rushing over to us with a smile on his stupid face. I give Olivia a mocking smile, still recovering from what had just happened.
          "What, I'm sorry." She says, holding back a laugh.
           "Guys! I got in! I got in!!" Wyatt rejoices.
           "You, Wyatt Wells. Got into Harvard?" Olivia asks, sick with worry. Would you look at that sudden mood change. "Don't give me that smile!" Livie whisper yells at me, nudging her elbow in my side.
          "Ow!"
          Olivia and Wyatt are always one step ahead of each other and can't stand the other being praised. It's like a never-ending competition. 

          "Yeah, I did. Stop underestimating me, Olive." Wyatt replies, pouting. Olivia scoffs at this. "Don't call me that Wobbly-Wy." She counters and I can't hold in my laugh anymore.
          I wonder if I got in, and as if Wy has just read my mind-
          "Sybil got into Harvard too, and I haven't checked yours yet." He says winking at me. Olivia looks at me before rushing to the office to see if she got in and I follow, trying to keep up my pace. "Oh my god, I got in!" She exclaims after finding her name on the letter, bringing me to a tight hug. "Wow, congratulations!" I choke.
            After school I find my mother in the hallways finishing up her work. "Hey honey, how was school?" She asks with a twinkle in her eye. Did she cry? I don't ask, instead I jump to her hugging her tightly.
            "You did it!" She shrieks. "I did it!!" I reply, ecstatic.
            After school Coraline calls one of her best friends, Alex, to help us get the car to the mechanic's store. Later that day, as I'm doing my homework, I hear a knock at the door. "Moooooom, there's someone here." I yell from my room. She goes to open the door and standing in front of her is Alex in a green apron because he may or may not have bunked from his job at Starbucks to come and help us. "Hi, ready to go?" He asks in a hurry, looking at his watch every now and then.
            "Yep, thank you so much once again for coming Alex, we really appreciate it." Coraline says as I meet them at the door. He simply nods and passes us a smile. Then he goes outside to where his car is parked and connects a rope to our car and ties the other knot to his and then we drive to the mechanic's shop.
            "So, how's your job going huh?" Mom asks. She is in a very good mood today and so am I.

            Alex remains silent for about 60 seconds before he drops his nuclear bomb.
            "It's hectic in there! I barely ate anything today because during my lunch break, the other's secretly left, and I was the only one left standing, so I had to forget about my lunch," he says, putting quotation marks in the air as he continues.
             "And had to take orders because this one stupid kid hosted her birthday there." I pass a secretive, surprised smile at mom. "And it's only a blessing that Jordan decided to cover up for me while I came over here. You guys are lucky." He finally finishes, a single drop of sweat on his brow as he checks the time again. We laugh and try to make him feel better by making idiotic jokes that don't make sense. Almost an hour later, our car was finally fixed. We thank Alex and drive home with pizza as a pre-celebration.