Chapter 9

The night is creeping on, the dove-grey sky can be seen from the room I am getting ready in, with Olivia.
        The cool breeze is reaching into my bones and Freda helps me dress into the dress that Queen Veronica has sent for me.
          It is a black and red gown that falls to the feet. A black lace strapping around my shoulders and going around my arms to the back, the design has flowers sown beneath the black corset that I wear. I let my wavy fiery hair loose and Freda braids it for me and pins it at the back of my head.
          I wear a necklace that mom had got me back in the mortal world with its matching earring pieces. Freda pinches my cheeks to make it look redder, she paints my lips and eyelids with a plum color and lets me rise.
          Then she helps Olivia get ready, she slips into a gown that is in a baby pink color, a white laced shirt beneath the corset and skirts. She braids her hair into a bun, letting a few strands of hair loose. She paints her lips and eyelids in a slightly lighter shade of pink and lets her rise to make her stand right next to me.
          "You both look delicious." She squeaks. Freda tends to make such remarks once she helps in making us look good for different festivals and I find that I have grown accustomed to such remarks. We both offer her a genuine smile before sheathing out knives.
          "You look like someone who just stepped out of hell and is ready to decapitate her lover." Olivia says, admiring my look. I scowl at her and she only chuckles in response.

          "And you look like someone who's going to help me bury the body 6 feet under." I say, trying to look serious as f*ck by looking into her eyes. She flinches and her expression resembles something that says, 'alright quit your act or I'll accidently wet my dress from the thoughts of doing that.'
          I complete my look by wearing a swan lux mask over my face. It is painted in bronze, somewhat matching my gothic dress. Olivia chose to wear the little fly mask, it has a butterfly at the corner of the mask, giving her a fragile yet fierce look.
          We stop at Wyatt's chambers and knock for him to join us. He is wearing a midnight blue tux and has brushed his hair back. He offers his arm to Olivia, and she takes it immediately. Smiling at her, I follow them downstairs and stop at the sight of Vaughn foolishly messing with his friend Damon.
          "Seriously man, quit acting like a fool! I swear if Sybil sees you like this, she will leave you almost instantly." Damon whisper-yells just as he avoids getting hit by Vaughn in the shoulder. He drags his hands down on his doublet to fix the wrinkles.
          Vaughn says something in his ear, and he gives him a death stare. Vaughn laughs, slapping his hand on his knee and then he spots me. Livie looks up at me and mouths 'good luck' meanwhile Wyatt started mocking me and brought his hands together, indicating the kiss. I frown and slap his hands away before anyone can notice and then they disappear down the hall. 
          Damon notices me and winks at Vaughn, with that he departs as he spots his girl. I make my way down the stairs and towards him. 

          The music in the throne room plays with my heartbeat. Everyone around me is dancing and having fun, some are drinking in a corner while some are stealing their lover and taking them outside to the cool night, laying under the stars and talking about things they find appropriate. The atmosphere is cold yet appealing. The wrong kind of appealing though.
          As I stop near the walls of the ballroom, Vaughn walks up to me with drinks in his hand. Without warning, I tip it all down. This will make me very tipsy even if it's just one small cup.
          "You look charming tonight." He says, kissing the back of my hand.
          "So do you, Prince Vaughn." I say, sinking into a low curtesy. He holds out his hand and raises an eyebrow. "May I have this dance?" He asks, a charming smile appearing on his face. He wears a midnight blue doublet with silver chains hanging across his shoulders, giving him a royal look. His muscles outline his clothes perfectly. He wears earrings that of pearls tonight.
          I look over at Olivia and Wyatt, they look perfectly happy with how their lives are turning out to be. I feel hot again, I don't let it off my guard. I take his hand.
          "Yes, you may." I say, smiling. He brings me to the middle of the ballroom, and we start our dance, even though I have no clue how to dance, I follow his steps as he turns me around, brings me close to him and then around again.
          The ballroom is decorated with black and white ribbons and banners. It's completely dark in here but the purple radiating lights in the chandeliers help a lot. Large statues of all the rulers of Alastair are placed alongside the 4 walls. Candles are lit on the round tables with napkins and pots of delicious food. 
          I see Kai at the corner of the ballroom, his eyes are on me as he drinks out of a goblet, and I try to shake off the eerie feeling. I feel good about myself, I let the feelings absorb in me, Vaughn sees it all on my face.