Chapter 18

5 Years Ago:
Before leaving, Wyatt looks in my direction and winks and then we depart. I thank Freda as I make my way down the steps alone. Wyatt and Livie had speeded up their pace, probably to steal a kiss in the corner before returning to school.

I walk across the damp grass and make my way to the large building standing in front of me. By the time I reach the building, I know I am going to be very late. I make my way inside and walk up the almost 200 steps of stairs to go to my class. "Oh, to be able to fly..." I breathe out when I reach the right floor. A male student passes by me going to the class next to ours with books in his hands. "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down. Maybe you should contemplate on it more often." He smiles and then disappears in the crowded hallway. Very well... I enter the classroom, still breathless from walking up this mile and find the chair next to me to be occupied by-
"Matt?!" I blurt out and everyone looks up at me. Livie was supposed to be on this chair, not him. He gives me his signature smirk as he motions for me to sit beside him. I move back slightly but I bump into someone. I spin around to find Professor Williams eyeing me angrily. "Sorry..." I mumble as I slowly walk towards my seat. I look across the room in an attempt to find Livie or Wyatt. I spot the couple watching me with worry and Livie mouths "I'm sorry." Suddenly I trip over someone's leg, and I shut my eyes tightly as I await the ground making contact with my face however, I am stopped midair. I hear people gasping and a few are even laughing. I find their voice to be Christopher and Eleanor's. I open my eyes to find Matt holding my waist, I flinch at the disgusting sight, now people will be shipping us off. I scoff and push his hands off me, I go over to my seat near the wall and sit down. Great, now I am trapped between him and the wall. Not even a single escape route. Matt sits down in his original cocky manner and the Professor starts his lesson. "Now that the disturbance between the two ill-mannered folks is over, I shall begin the lesson," he says.
"I will begin the lesson with Curse Creation first. You may take out your inkpots and quills and scribble away." I do as I was told. I take out a piece of unused paper and I start digging around in my pockets for my trusty pen I had bought in the mortal world. I see Matt shuffling next to me followed by a small chuckle. I look in his direction and find his mischievous eyes staring at me. I look down at his veiny hands to find my trusty pen in his hands. I dive forward in an attempt to grab the pen, but he holds his long arms up so that I cannot reach it.

"Give it back, Sylvester." I demand, crossing my arms over my chest, trying to avoid more drama. "Oh, come on. I was just about to have some fun." He whines and then laughs, pointing at me and looking over at his friends sitting in the row next to him. I feel my face burn with embarrassment and anger. I step on his shoe. "Give it back or you'll be sorry." I say after he lets out an "Ow!"
"Are you really bidding me? Have you looked in the mirror, mortal? I command you to abide by my rules and mine only." He says. My anger takes a hold of me. "If I was meant to be controlled, I would have come with a remote and a user manual." I bark out and start looking for a spare pen in my pockets. He looks at me, his seductive eyes, all on me. I try not to stare and continue searching for the pen. "Ehm ehm." Professor Williams is standing at our table. I must have snapped without noticing him standing there. "One more word and the two of you will be shown before the King and Queen," He continues. "And Matthew, don't think that if they are your parents, they will not punish you. They are very strict when it comes to school." Matt scoffs and sinks lower into his seat, using my pen to write down the notes as I roll my eyes. He sure is good at pick pocketing.

After Curse Creation we all go outside to the front of the school to the marble floor and form a line. I am standing next to Livie and a girl with brunette hair. She looks at me and gives me a shy smile, she tucks a loose strand of hair behind her ear. "Greetings, what might your good name be?" She asks shyly. I wave at her slightly. "It's Sybil, Sybil Cruz."
"You have a gorgeous name," She says. She looks at how I was looking at her and speaks. "The name is Ceren Hart. I came here last year as my parents had abandoned me. My step sister found out about this place a few days before it happened and so I came here. What's your story?" She was now whispering so that the Professor would not kick us out, considering he was already pissed at me because of Matthew. "I came here with my two bestfriends by choice. Someday I believe I will be able to bring my mother here too." I say, not wanting to talk about the prophecy as I did not know her much. Giving away my plan would be entirely my fault then. "Are you...?" I tried asking her something and she seemed to get it. "Human? Yes, I am human, scary how you can find people so attractive, yet they can be the cause of your death." She mumbles and starts paying attention to the talking professor who was now coaching a couple on how to dance correctly. She was right, people can be attractive here, but they can also be the reason for your death, my mind instantly goes to Matt as I look ahead of me to the row of gentlemen standing facing us. "Now, I have assigned your partners for you and there will be no if's and but's. These pairs have been personally made by the Queen of Alastair with the help of her two heirs. Your dance may begin." Professor Williams finishes, leaving the floor as everyone grabs their partners. I look at who my partner is and as I suspected it to be, it is Matthew.

He gives me his signature smirk as we dance across the floor, swirling and twirling in between the happy couples. "Why did you choose me?" I ask him. "Professor Williams said Queen Veronica chose the pairs with the help of her two heirs, why did you choose me?" I repeat. His grip on my waist tightens but I try to keep my bitch-face on. "Just so I could have some fun, you know. It's funny how people already assume that we both are so in love with each other when in reality, I just want to watch you cripple and break down." He says firmly. I try to fight back the millions of emotions that try to pour out, I try to leave but his grip only tightens on my waist and my hand. "Don't leave darling, the show has just begun." He whispers in my ear. His words send a shiver down my spine, and something churns in my stomach. What has he planned on doing now. I think to myself. This is not good. "I- I have to go get some fresh air." I excuse myself and go over to the bench situated at the end of the dance floor.