Chapter 8

It has been 5 years since we had mounted on ravens and made our way to the Land of Alastair. 5 years since I started looking for answers, 5 years since Vaughn continued his flirtations and I realize that I am indeed in love with this man. Livie was surprisingly supportive of me meeting up with Vaughn, in fact she even helped me and told me what to or what not to say. She's one of the main reasons why I'm with him right now.
          Olivia and Wyatt managed to make more friends while I used to spend my free time in my room, thinking about what I had to do next, how I would get to the witch.
          I hear a knock at the door, and I walk over to open the door.
          "Ah, you're up. I brought you breakfast since you missed out on it. And Queen Veronica has sent you this gown for tonight's masquerade ball. I am to help you get ready." Freda, the elf speaks. I nod as she sets the tray down on the floor.
          "Are there any letters for me?" I ask her, hoping mom might have sent me a letter, at least under another name. I just need to know that she is fine with me living here even if it's been years already.
          "No, my dear." She pauses. "You could send her one you know?" It did occur to me to write to her but that would mean risking her location and eventually, her life. I cannot text her either as I have lost my phone in the last ball that was held. The elves didn't know what it was when they found it during cleaning hours and accidently broke the phone.
          "Alright, thank you. I will be downstairs in a minute." I tell her. She leaves. My room is small as compared to the room I had back in the mortal world, I have a single bed pushed back with the walls, leaves are strung on all my walls with plants growing outside the cracks in the floor and the walls, just like the staircase leading towards the Grand Castle. 

          My closet is made out of wood that has holes from all the termites that had fed on it. I head towards my bathroom and brush my teeth, scrub my face. Then I braid my hair and tie it with a twig. I put on an off-white dress with my corset so tight, it hugs me at all the right places. The top of my dress is frilled at the sleeves and the neck. Then I stuff my knife into all the pockets I can find, I put one of the knives in the sheath that I wear on my thigh. I wear my high boots and then my leather gloves. Just the right dress for becoming an archer. A knight works too.
          I leave my room and make my way to Livie and Wyatt's chambers. I knock once and walk inside. Their chamber is a few feet further than mine. Livie sleeps in my chambers but she sometimes likes to go to Wyatt's chambers just to "annoy" him. I never really asked her if I could come as I was too busy thinking.
          As soon as I walk inside, I find that their chambers are completely dark. I can make out shadows of two humans on the bed and immediately step out and shut the door. I regret doing that, "I'm sorry!" I shriek.
          Yep, they're together and Liv never told me. I think about the conversation we had back at the park in the mortal world before Wyatt tagged along.
           "Love is something to be afraid of, you know. The fear of saying something that might drift you apart from your lover. The fear of messing things up before it even starts,"
          "It sucks."
          "You know you could stay if it is for him."
          "Don't worry, I won't miss him this time."
          She wouldn't miss him because he was coming with her. Jeez, I thought she despised Wyatt, what the hell!

          Livie walks out, almost bumping into me.
          "So, you're being naughty, huh?" I smile, nudging my elbow in her stomach.
          "Sybil! Quit goofing around. It's not what you think!" She whisper-yells, frustration evident on her face and I laugh in response. "Oh no, I'm not the one goofing around. It's you princess. I thought we were sick of Wobbly-Wy!" I exclaim, proving my point.
          "We are, we are. He's not a good kisser anyway..." She mumbles, looking down at floor as she starts to blush.
          "Hey I heard that!" Livie and I break into fits of laughter.
          After teasing them both, Livie decided to run back to our chambers to get ready for tonight, leaving Wyatt to get ready himself in his chambers. I decided to make my way downstairs and give my mind some rest since I've been racking my brain all morning. I need to stop thinking about mom and that stupid prophecy for a while.
          As I descend the stairs, I see Vaughn coming out of the throne room. He looks at me and smiles, bumping into an imp and apologizing immediately as the tray of cupcakes fall from her long fingers. I fight back another fit of laughter as he meets my gaze again, rubbing the back of his neck. I cross over to him and crouch down to help the imp with gathering up the cupcakes.
          "Causing trouble?" I ask after I stand back up, facing him.
          "You know I will cause trouble once I spot you, my lady." He replies, using his index finger to brush my nose lightly. I smile in response, having nothing else to say. God, I love him.
          "You heading somewhere?" He asks after a pause. His eyes never left mine.
          "Mhm. I was on my way to meet your parents. I had to ask them something, why?"
          "Mind if I join?" He smirks back at me, showcasing his dimple and I nod.