Chapter 20

"Your majesty," I say in a low tone and sink low to the floor in an elegant curtesy. I remove the cloak as I stand, giving my condolences to the Queen once again. "Olivia has sent me to your chambers, I am so sorry to bother you as I know you must be grieving, but this is important, with your permission I would like to speak about the matter." 

"Vaughn is trying to take over the throne, he has the prophecy, and he is not afraid to use it against our will. His plan included getting me wed to him in order to become the next in line to become the King of Cordelia as well. Wyatt was compelled by your son to kill the late King, he did that in order to blame him and I," I told her the whole story and watched her mixed emotions. I really wanted her to believe me even though it seemed as if she hated me for even showing up her chambers. I wanted to save her, to save Alastair and Cordelia, I cannot let it fall into a quisling's hands.

"You are very thoughtful, Princess Sybil, but I am afraid I cannot leave without burying my High King. He was my everything and so are my two sons. Tell me, how can a mother leave behind their child and forget about them?" She looks in my eyes, her eyes are glistening with tears. I look down to the floor, not daring to meet her beautiful ice blue eyes. "Just like my mother moved on, you should be able to move on as well," I whisper to myself, but I know she heard my heartbroken voice. "Matthew will still be with you every step of the way. I give you my word nothing will ever happen to him." I look up at her again and she smiles through the thousands of tears that are threatening to fall down any moment. She opens her arms for me, and I have no choice but to run into her arms. My body collides with hers, the scent of roses fills the air around me and suddenly I feel at home. I feel as if I have reunited with my mother, as if I am back on earth. Her hug sends electric shocks in my entire body, and I feel like I have regained my power. I feel as if someone has finally slapped me across the face to wake me up. I am now truly alive.

"Thank you." I whisper, still in her arms. She slightly pushes me away, her hands still on my cold shoulders. Her icy blue eyes are looking straight into my green eyes. "Go. Go now, and don't look back," 
"What?!" 
"Take him away from the cruelties of this world, keep him safe. Make him feel comfort-" She coughs up blood. Holy shit. I jump off the bed and run to her bedside table to pour her a glass of water, but she holds up her hand in denial. She leans her head on the frame of the giant bed, closing her eyes with tears pouring out. She has been poisoned. Cold sweat takes over my entire body as I realize that I have been tricked into another trap. "No- no no no no no. Stay with me, your Highness. Stay with me!" I yell, tears are now stinging my eyes. I wipe her bloody mouth with my handkerchief. "There is no use my child. I will forever love my two sons, but Vaughn has to-" She coughs up more blood, this time in my hand. "Vaughn has to die." She says as she closes her eyes that I once found beautiful. At this point I am shaking her hard to keep her from closing her eyes. "No, nothing will happen. You WILL survive. This is just a test Veronica!" Her face is becoming paler and paler with time. I rush out the room and start screaming for help and the guards rush inside the bed chambers. I see Livie, Matthew, Eleanor and Christopher sprinting towards me with Vaughn and his puppets behind them. "What are you doing, run Sybil he's after us!" Livie shouts. I sink to the floor and tears spring out once again. They stop dead in their tracks once they find me next to the Queen's chambers. I look up at Matt and his horrified eyes find mine, then slowly going back to the lavish door. He pushes the others aside and rushes inside. Livie and the other look back up at me, fear evident in their eyes. "She's gone!" I shout back. "I'm not going, you go without me. She is gone!" I shout once again, burying my face in my hands. Someone's arms embrace my crumpled-up figure and shush me as I sob uncontrollably in her arms. Her vanilla scent fills the air around me and I know now that it is Livie. A moment later the King and the Queen are both taken out of their rooms followed by a red eyed Matt. I stand up and run to him, jerking his shoulders so that his attention is on me. "It wasn't me I swear, it was a trap, I came to get her out of there and-" I yelled at him while tears rolled on my cheek. He stops me from talking by putting his large finger on my lips. He meets my gaze and wipes the tears from my cheek and then he leaves. A moment later, they have disappeared. 

The next day, I wake up in my chamber in ruins. My hair is a mess, my eyes are swollen. My face and my clothes are all bloody. I slip out of the warm covers and wash my face. I come back outside to find a black gown on my bed. Freda is placing a tray of food on the floor, and she looks up to find me in a mayhem. "My God, dear. You need to get ready for the funeral. You cannot show up like this." She demands as she drags me across the room to sit back on the floor. I do not feel like eating but she forces me to eat so that I don't "pass out in the middle of the ceremony." 
Last night after Matt had left me in the castle, Wyatt had come back and had suggested we ought to stay back for a while for Matthew's sake. We had appointed King Victor's most trusted guards to protect Prince Matthew and Matt had reversed the compulsion for all of Vaughn's guards and had warned them to stay away from the castle for some time. Soon after the funeral, we were to get going to the nearest ocean and make an attempt into asking my father for helping us find Coraline and the stone with Ceren and an old hag she had told us about. She was the key to getting us to the witch. After that we went back to the castle and stayed in the Solars to go over the plans once again, everything had then blacked out.