Forty

Third Person POV

Clarke was right.

Bellamy heavily disagreed with the new plan, and he wasn't the only one. A few of Gabriel's children had protested at the idea- some still in disbelief that Clarke was indeed whom she said she was, and not one of the primes. They knew who Josephine Lightbourne was, knew she'd never give up so easily. They also now knew of Gabriel's love for her.  It took some persuading, but here she was back in Sanctum putting on the show of her life.

"What?" Clarke says twirling. Few strands of hair in between her fingers. "No hug?" She questions with a tilt of her head staring hard a Russell.

"Josephine?" He questions in shock.

He'd lost his wife, his daughter too was presumed to be lost as well.

"Surprise!" Clarke says gleefully. "I'm back bitches!"

"How is this possible?"

"It's a long story. Suffice to say, I'm awesome." She claims with a shrug. "What I'm not, however, is immortal." She says with a pout. "Gabriel took out my drive."

"I really do hate to interrupt, but..." John drifts off arms crossed over his chest as his eyes flickered between the duo

"I'm a man of my word." He says not taking his eyes off of his daughter- afraid that is he did she would disappear too. "You earned your place here. Take him to Cammie," he says pointedly to the guard near by, "and clear the doctor and the rest of her people from the lab."

Their time was up.

                                         ******

"Echo's in trouble." Cammie says softly as she embraced John tighter.

"Echo's strong." He reassures her pressing a soft kiss to her temple. "She'll be ok."

"Everybody always thinks that." She replies pulling away. "We all say the same about Kayleigh.. Hell, I do it, too. The truth is... you're fine until you're not."

"Oh, come on. You know you want some of this." He says jokingly wiggling his eyebrows, trying to pull her back to him again.

"They tied us to stakes, John." She snaps pushing herself fully away from him. "They were gonna burn us alive." Cammie emphasized. "You still want to play house with them? What about our friends?"

"Yeah, this is how we save them." He says and she just rolls her eyes, grabbing her hands he tries again. "Think about it. Everyone's just trying to survive, even Russell. We just need to make him see that it's in his best interest to keep all of us alive. In our case, forever."

"And how long do you think your forever is going to be?" A voice rasps out from the shadows causing the couple to jump.

Kayleigh emerged from the shadows, leisurely circling around the room.

"Kayleigh?" John says pulling himself out of the shock of seeing her there, only to have her lips pull up into a snarl.

"No" she sneers her voice coming out oddly. It was her voice- but another was blending with it.

"Oh my-" Cammie stops short, her hand covering her mouth to stop the gasp from further escaping.

She too was in shock by what she saw. Face and clothing splattered in blood- black blood- although try as she might she couldn't see any visible wounds on her. Her eyes further traveled noticing the deep bruising circles around her eyes before stopping short at the mix-matching color.