Prologue

The Second Dawn

The scene before me melts away, taking me once again to another time, to another place.

I'm now standing in a room-pacing back and forth- muttering under my breath.

"Shh." I say none too gently at the child I rock in my arms.

I needed her quiet, I needed to think.

My reflection captures my eyes, and I'm not more disillusioned than I was earlier. My hair was a rats nests all around me, dark circles had formed under my eyes- it was no wonder I couldn't figure this out- I was sleep deprived for gods sake!

"I did this for a reason." I remind myself as I continued to pace.

And I had.

To correct my mistakes.

"I don't understand." I could feel the words coming out of my mouth, my eyes looking down to the baby in my arms. "I injected myself while I was pregnant, why is your blood red instead of black?"

Bone marrow from test subject 001. The first to successfully reproduce the black blood on his own. I used his bone marrow to change my genes- so why didn't it work on her?

"Your brothers blood changed not long after the injection.. maybe.. maybe it skips generations?"

That had to be it.

"Knock, knock."

"Callie," I breath out turning to see who had entered the room. "Callie, I need you to take her. I can't get her to settle." I tell her as I thrust the wailing baby in her arms.

I was never meant to be a mother.
I thought by doing this again I could help further my research here on Earth- something that has been becoming more and more trivial of late.

"I'll keep the baby for a few hours- but you need to get some rest."

"No, I need to solve this." I tell her as I pace to and fro rubbing tiredly at my eyes.

"Becca, you need to stop." Callie says sharp enough to get my movements to still. "The more you push about the serum- the need to have test subject-"

She stops long enough to settle the baby lightly patting her on her bum.

"You're threatening his leadership. As long as everyone is too afraid to go against him, your safe.. but the more you try to convince people to be apart of your experiment-

"It's not just an experiment- not when it works." I correct her. "You saw me out there, I removed my helmet, I breathed in the air-

"And what do you think he will do when his people start to look to you instead of him."

"That's not what's important-

"He doesn't care and we both know it."

It was the truth, he didn't.

William "Bill" Cadogen was a fanatical lunatic. A radical that also happened to be right when the end of days came thus giving him a god like complex.

"Your father's right, Cal." Grace said who happened to be Bills ex-wife and the siblings mother. "Look at it. He saw the end of the world and that this was our way out, and now it's here. God knows I had my doubts along the way, but if your father says that there is a better way home, then I believe him."