Thirty-three

Madi POV

I didn't know where to go, where to turn. Knowing what I knew now- nothing felt safe or exciting like it did before.

Clarke was gone.
She wasn't coming back..
They killed her.
Now someone else was wearing her body..
And Kayleigh was just letting it go.

"You're asking for vengeance, you want it for you- not for her.. Instead of giving you what you want, I gave what was needed."

"Yeah, and what was that?"

"Justice.." she rasps out. "Blood called for blood, and blood is what I gave."

I didn't need justice. I wanted revenge.
They took Clarke from me.
They took my best friend..
They took my mother.

"It's done Madi.. Let it go."

"No! I won't let it go! I know you hated her but she was one of us! She was yours just as much as the rest of us-

The words died in my throat, as her hand gripped it tightly. Her eyes went dark but they were far from empty, far from lifeless as they were before. I struggled against her grip, felt my eyes widen as I tried in vain to pull in air. Faintly I could hear the commotion around us as Bellamy tried to intervene but was stopped by the others. Fear coiled through me, as my heartbeat roared louder.

"You forget to whom you are speaking to." Kayleigh snarls pulling me closer to her I could feel her breath against my skin as I choked and gagged. "I am the daughter of a butchered woman. Mother to a dead son, whom I unleashed onto the world." Her grip continued to tighten and black spots began to enter my vision. "I am Kikheda kom trikru. Rightful commander of the 13 clans." She releases me then, my body weak I sink down to the ground, coughing as I drag in air. "Challenge me again, and you will join your beloved Clarke into the afterlife."

I didn't need to hear her words because the truth was there in her eyes.  She was feeding off of my fear, and in those dark depths I saw the anticipation- her excitement of wanting to do just that.

Clarke was right.. she's more than just a person.

"You shouldn't have done that."

Blinking away what had happened before I look up to see Roanoke standing before me.  Gently he lifts my chin, looking over my battered throat critically.

"She's wrong." I whispered the words, that all I was capable of doing. And even saying those two words cuz my throat to throb more.

"You challenged her.. Challenged her decision publicly in front of everyone.." he says dropping his hand even as he shook his head. "You're lucky those bruises are all that you walked away with."

"It's Clarke." I say even as more tears gather. "They killed her. She's dead and they're still alive! Had it been anyone else-

"She is Kikheda." He says in trig cutting me off. "She spent her previous life trying to change the world. Freed slaves, protected the innocent, defended the weak. A lifetime trying to make our world a better place- to bring back the balance-

"What does this have to do with-

"Quiet."he commands and my mouth instantly shuts. "She wants us to survive, wants us to live. How does she accomplish that if she calls for war?" He questions but continues before I can form an answer. "We kill the primes, our losses would be minimal if any- for they have no real training or weapons. We take what is theirs with fire and blood, but then what? How do we survive in a land we know nothing about? Turn the weak into our slaves? Strip them of the same life we want to achieve ourselves?" His steel grey eyes clashed with mine. "You would have her turn away from everything she stands for? And for what, the life of one person over the lives of many?"