xxxvi. spider curse

Start from the beginning

Mad-Eye turned back, walking to the collection of insects, each one hidden beneath glass, he had chosen a spider, the tiny thing laid on his hand as Mad-Eye brought out his wand. "Engorgio." It grew twice its size. "Imperio."

The spider jumped from his hand onto Dean Thomas, the boy flinched back and the spider launched back onto Goyle. "Don't worry, it's completely harmless." Rosalyn peered around the room, they were all laughing, the young witch looked back over at Hermione, she wasn't laughing.

The spider jumped over to Padma. She gasped peering down at the insect. Mad-Eye brought the spider away and hovered above Ron, the boy shivered refusing to look up. "...she's lethal." Mad-Eye guffawed, finding enjoyment in children's fear. "What are you laughing at?"

Draco screamed as the spider fell onto his face, everyone erupted in laughter. "Talented, isn't she? What should i have her do next? Jump out the window?" Mad-Eye says, launching the spider towards the window, everyone immediately grew silent, he hovered the spider over a bucket of water. "Drown herself?"

Rosalyn watched the spider fight for her life, Mad-Eye then brought the spider back into his hand, "Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the imperious curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars?" Mad-Eye peered around. "Another, another. Come on, up."

And the students slowly began lifting a hand. "Longbottom, is it?" Mad-Eye noticed the slightly lifted hand that belonged to Neville. "Up." Neville stood up hesitantly. "Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology." The nervous boy nodded.

"Th—there's the, uh... the cruciatus curse."

Mad-Eye gleamed. "Correct, correct, come, come." He gestured with his wand to the dark table in front, Professor Mad-Eye placed the spider down. "Particularly nasty. The torture curse."

"Crucio!" Rosalyn clenched her jaw tightly, the spider squealed, jerking around at the torture spell, Neville stood there having to witness the curse his parents once encountered. "Stop it! Can't you see it's bothering him!?" Hermione shouted at the professor. "Stop it!"

Mad-Eye looked up at the muggle-born then turned to Neville before stopping his torture on the spider, Mad-Eye picked up the insect from the table and made his way down to Rosalyn and Hermione, Hermione held a puzzled look while Rosalyn stared down at the spider on the books.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse, Miss Granger." Hermione looked up and shook her head, Rosalyn watched Mad-Eye clenched his wand. "No?" Rosalyn in a heartbeat slammed her hand above the spider, slowly meeting Hermione's sadden eyes.

Mad-Eye hummed at the action. Harry furrowed his eyebrows and turned back to Ron, they were suddenly confused why she would kill the spider. Rosalyn then looked up. "Looks like we didn't need the unforgivable curse after all."

"The killing curse." Mad-Eye darted away from Rosalyn to Harry. "Only one person is known to have survived it... and he's sitting in this room."

Mad-Eye reached for his flask, gulping down the liquid and he exhaled.

𖤐↯☆★↯𖤐

"Brilliant, isn't he?" Ron spoke in wonder, Rosalyn shook her head walking down the spiral of stairs, Hermione angrily walked down beside her. "Completely demented, of course and terrifying to be in the same room with but he's really been there, you know. He looked evil in the eye."