Chapter 5: The Masquerade Ball (part 4)

George's pov

The night of the Masquerade ball had officially arrived. Soon, the Great Hall would be filled with students in their formal attires and the masks that were mandatory in this particular event.

Sebastian and Ominis were getting ready in our dorm, whereas I was just lying in bed, unmotivated to go to the Ball.

"I'm just going to say it, tonight I'm going to be accompanying the prettiest girl in Hogwarts" Sebastian bragged, while wrapping his tie.

"I think you should come too" Ominis talked to me, completely ignoring Sebastian.

"Yeah man! Come get your girl, before someone else does" Sebastian said and then asked Ominis "Ready to go?"

"Yes, we're expecting you there!" Ominis closed the door behind him, leaving my thoughts as my only company.

Should I join them? Should I reunite with Poppy tonight? Perhaps they are right, spending my time alone in the dorm did not sound like an ideal evening. I grabbed my suit and headed to the bathroom, to have a shower and get ready for the Ball.

Grayson's pov

Being the school band's singer, meant that I had to come earlier to the Ball for rehearsals. I was nervous as this was going to be my first time singing live in front of a big crowd, but thankfully Mia was kind enough to brew me a sedative potion to help me relieve my anxiety.

The Great Hall was beautifully decorated and the candles that were floating right above us on the enchanted ceiling created the optimal atmosphere for a ball.

Students were coming in every second. I saw multiple familiar faces, including Poppy's, who was coming towards me.

"Hey" she smiled.

"Hello Poppy"

"Ready to impress us with your incredible voice?" Poppy excitedly asked.

"Oh you will be amazed - trust me on that! The band's put a lot of work into this" I responded full of joy. After a couple of minutes, Sebastian and Ominis showed up, joining our casual conversation. Poppy was constantly scanning the room, possibly looking for George. Disappointed at not finding him, she started talking to Sebastian, allowing Ominis and I to have some private space.

"Looking forward to hearing you sing" Ominis leaned in and whispered to my ear.

"Wish me good luck? I need to go on stage soon" I discreetly held his hand.

"You don't need any luck, you're already the best" Ominis' words made my confidence level rise.

I left Ominis and headed to the stage; I could see almost everyone from up here. I gazed upon the door of the Great Hall, when I noticed Headmaster Black entering and wandering around, observing the students. He only stopped to greet Ominis and then moved to the staff table.

The realization hit me harder than ever, when I finally connected the dots. How could I have missed that?

The information was right in front of me all this time, yet I chose to ignore it. Headmaster Black was friends with the Gaunts, giving him the perfect motive to steal the book about Larissa from the library. He wanted to give it to Amanda, who is related to the Gaunts and is a pure-blood herself.

"Grayson, it's time!" Derek's voice pulled me out of my thoughts as the show was about to begin.

Jessica's pov

As Natty and I stepped into the Great Hall, I could not help but admire how unrecognisable it was. The Ball Committee really did a fantastic job, the room almost resembled a fairy-tale.