Chapter 1: The Big Return (part 7)

Mia's pov

I was filled with enthusiasm when I woke up the following day. Everything seemed perfect, the sun was shining and the blue hue of the sky appeared more vivid than ever before. I headed straight to the bathroom to get ready, where I bumped into Poppy Sweeting.

I glanced at her, quickly realising that she looked drowsy. "Good morning Poppy – you seem tired" I noticed.

"Morning Mia!" Poppy murmured, washing her face with some cold water. "I didn't sleep well"

"Your bed was empty last night!" I gave her a cunning gaze. "Poppy Sweeting sneaking out, are we? What for?"

"George and I took a walk in the Forbidden Forest" she explained, covering her mouth with her hand as she yawned.

"Out of all the places in the world, you chose the Forbidden Forest?" I chuckled.

"Yeah, but I liked it" Poppy admitted.

"Was the walk the only thing you liked?" I lifted my brow.

"Oh, come on Mia!" Poppy shook her head "It was just like two friends going for a walk, as if George would ever..." she started her sentence, but I interrupted her absurdity.

"Let me stop you right there, sweetheart, where's your confidence? He asked you out so maybe he's interested" I hyped her up.

"There are so many girls interested in him, why would he choose me? Before I met you, Highwing was my only friend" she said in a sad tone.

"Yes, Highwing is incredible, but you've changed since then. Look at you, you're gorgeous" I expressed showing Poppy her reflection in the bathroom's mirror, a shy smile forming on her lips. "You've spent so much time with George; maybe he's realised he is into sweet girls, after all your name is Sweeting."

My pun would have made Garreth proud. 

"Let's get to class" she changed the topic.

We headed together to our first class of the day, Herbology. I sat with Poppy, narrating my late-night rendezvous with Garreth, her expressions reflecting her surprise. But my focus was quickly drawn by the arrival of Garreth and Jessica, their laughter booming out as they entered the classroom.

It was a sight that did not go unnoticed by Sebastian, whose eyes lingered on them, filled with jealousy. Garreth appeared to be deeply involved in the conversation, barely laying an eye on me. Was last night a one-off?

Following a hearty welcome, Professor Garlick initiated her lesson. We were learning about Mandrakes, but I could barely concentrate on what Professor Garlick was saying. As I was thinking about our late-night encounter, I looked at Garreth and saw him staring back at me. He smiled and so did I.

"Mia!" Leander called out, bringing me back to the present moment "Eric and I are going to the Three Broomsticks after class, care to join us?"

"I can't! I promised Ominis I'd help him collect some ingredients for a potion he wants to brew" I explained, kindly declining his invitation.

"Shame, perhaps some other time?" Leander suggested. Glancing discreetly at Garreth's direction, I noticed his gaze fixed on me as I conversed with Leander.

With a cheeky smile on my lips, I turned to face Leander. "Sure thing – uhm could you help me with this? It seems like I'm doing something wrong" I said flirtatiously.

"You just have to add more water Mia" Poppy chimed in, ruining my plan.

"Thank you, Poppy" I smiled in annoyance.