Chapter 1: The Big Return (part 8)

Mia's pov

As I finished getting ready, I took one last look in the mirror, adjusting my hair and smoothing out my skirt. The fact that I would go to an official date with Garreth made my stomach flutter with excitement.

His owl had arrived earlier that day, delivering his message. In his not-so-neat handwriting he had detailed the precise time and location of our secret rendezvous, adding an air of mystery to the evening ahead.

Stepping away from the mirror, I walked over to the window, taking a moment to admire the starry sky outside. With a deep breath and my courage gathered, I exited the Common Room.

I stepped cautiously through the castle corridors, my senses heightened with the thrill of secrecy as I navigated the familiar halls. Finally, I emerged into the open air of the castle grounds, greeted by the soft glow of moonlight.

With the moon as my guide, I followed the grassy path leading to the Black Lake. As I neared, I spotted Garreth standing at the water's edge. His hands were tucked casually into his pockets, his gaze fixed on the peaceful landscape before him.

At the sound of my approach, Garreth turned towards me, a smile playing at the corner of my lips. His eyes sparkled with warmth as he greeted me, his voice soft yet confident.

"You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen" 

In his outstretched hand, he held a rose. My lips quirked into a taunting grin as I accepted the flower. "Why thank you sir, I didn't take you for the romantic type"

Despite my jest, I was surprised by his thoughtful gesture, and I found myself drawn to his effortless charm.

"There are many things you don't know about me" Garreth expressed with a hint of mischief in his eyes. "Shall we?" he suggested, nodding towards the soft expanse of green beneath us.

We reclined together, our bodies bathed in the gentle light of the stars above. As we conversed, Garreth's gaze wandered to my eyes, his admiration evident as he complimented them. "You have the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen"

His words echoed like a sweet melody in my ears, filling me with affection. Garreth leaned in and within a few seconds, or maybe it was minutes, or perhaps hours, his lips met mine in a soft kiss. The world around us seemed to fade away, leaving only the pulsing rhythm of our heartbeats.

But in the midst our intimate moment, the fear of being caught crept in. I pulled away slightly, my eyes darting nervously around. "Garreth what if someone sees us?"

"Nobody is here Mia, just you and I" he reassured me.

As we kissed me again, my worries melted away, replaced by positive thoughts and emotions. In his embrace, I felt safe, the weight of the past year's struggles lifting from my shoulders. After an entire year of fighting off Ranrok and his loyalists, my life was finally peaceful.