Circles and headlamps

'That wasn't all I wanted to say'

~~~

Mayara pov

'You won't want to hear it'

'Hear what?'

'Don't worry' he said and looked away out to the shore, which made me furious.

'What?' I persisted.

'I think I know who sunglasses girl is'

I looked at him and then laughed.

'Yeah, she's an asshole'

'An asshole who's after your man'

'Shut up ney, just because neyfinha isn't happening doesn't mean you have to stir shit' I remarked.

He brushed off my snarky comment about their bromance and continued.

'I just don't want to see you get hurt'

His beautiful dark eyes looked genuinely concerned, as he rubbed circles on my shoulder.

'Well thankyou but I'll be fine' I said, suddenly shy.

I was adamant he was messing me about but all the same I kept to myself that maybe their synchronised arrival was more than just a coincidence.

~

Neymar pov

Maya, being her unpredictable self, lifted my arm from her shoulder and rushed down the dune down to the shore.

"Don't just sit there" she yelled and gestured for me to join her.

I chased her indistinct figure.

"Decided to join me" she said, removing her jumper and ducking her head under the water.

I froze. But she grabbed my hand and forced me under the icy wave.

"You're mad" I laughed.

"Yes I am." She stated.

I squatted down in the waves, wincing at the cold water.

She was facing me and the only clear feature on her face in the dark were those glittering orbs, jutting out of the black like headlamps.

I took a strand of soaked hair and tucked it behind her ear.

"What the hell are we doing?" She whispered, picking at her sodden clothes making me register my own.

"You're asking me?" I laughed.

She looked up at the stars. The shining balls of gas expanded and shrunk in a glossy reflection in her eyes.

A droplet of salty sea water formed at her ears and hit the water with a unassuming splash.

I felt it again. I felt it. That persistent feeling every time I looked at her beautiful features, surveying them for the ever more beautiful details.

But it was no longer background noise in my head, I was shaking all over, not only from the cold but from the feeling she gave me.

It rose, whatever 'it' was and began to take over until I was helpless and out of control.

On impulse, I leaned closer and kissed her on the lips, only to feel her detach from me in seconds.

Her eyes were wide and she slapped me across the face, but she looked like she was struggling to formulate the 'correct' reaction.

The pain stung in my cheek, and I bit my tongue, igniting a further pulse of pain in my mouth.

'Make up your mind neymar. If you want to be friends that's fine but I can't keep playing games with you.'

"I-i'm sorry Maya" I stuttered.

She shook her head and raised her body from the water.

"I think I'm- I'm going to go back now ney, night" she sighed.

I watched her tiny figure disappear over the dune and within a minute I was alone bobbing in the water.

What the hell ney? Why? Why can't you control yourself? I said, mentally slapping myself.

"Friends. I want nothing more than that" I lied aimlessly through my teeth, letting the exhausted statement drift through the light breeze.
~

X