Penalties and protests

Neymar pov

Rafinha's matted dark mop clung to his forehead , pasted there by the sheen of sweat covering his profile.

Luiz was working us all vigorously and judging by the panting players, including myself, it began to take its toll.

We continued to play small matches and perfect penalties until the end rolled around.

We staggered back into the changing room, in one mass, a waying spinelessly.

Everyone was patting Rafinha on the back and wolf whistling after the performance he had shown us all before training commenced.

I stole myself away in the corner and tried to block out the congratulatory drone enveloping me.

Rafinha picked his way to my spot in a bid to strike up a conversation like I was a wet log he wanted to manipulate into a fire.

"What?" I spat.

"You were really off in training, I'm just worried" he emulated.

"I'm fine" I defended.

We were silent while we both conjugated out thoughts.

"How's Julia?" I said, vexed.

"I wouldn't know, we broke up and I'm with Maya now"

"You've made that clear"

I threw my bag over my shoulders and tossed my drenched kit into a bag that collectively housed all of our laundry.

Rafinha bumbled after me. He grabbed his stuff, unsuccessfully as the contents spilled from the seams.

I soldiered on down the corridor and saw Maya walk ahead of me.

Rafinha was searching the ground for his headphones, though I was sure neon beats couldn't be too difficult to find, and was oblivious that she was near him.

"Neymar" she shouted and hugged me tightly.

"Maya" I responded, "how are you?"

"I'm good, your hot" she said acknowledging my shiny forehead, "Luiz had you guys working hard, huh?"

"Yeah he-"

Rafinha's arm slid between us and meandered it's way around her shoulders.

"Babe, lets go"

Maya opened her mouth to protest but shut it, smiling up at him.

She waved her hand feebly and they both sauntered to his car, joined at the hip.

I stared after them feeling empty and stupid for wallowing in self-pity.

I had to get it in my head that me and Maya are a lost cause, a closed door, she was not meant for me.

~

Comment and like please, thanks for reading <3