The Time My Competitive Side Showed

....okay, now first things first. I am competitive, like, really competitive.

I am that kid in gym class who takes it too far when playing a simple game.

I am the shitty brat that hates to lose.

I am the kid who is wanted on the team but also not wanted.

I know this, so I try my best to keep my competitive side hidden making everyone think I don't mind losing. But, you know...I lie.

When we play a game, especially in teams, it's you break them or I break you, kill or be killed, mercy is for the weak, and winning is everything.

So an example of this is what you ask for? Well, let me provide this for you.

I am part of a club where young people come together and learn first aid and life skills, etc.

It is coming up to our summer holidays so we decided to have a sort of break/fun nights. We went out to play rounders.

Rounds, for those who of you who are unsure of what it is, is pretty similar to baseball I guess. Two teams, one team bats another fields. There are four bases, gotta hit the ball, three strikes, go to all the bases and get home, etc.

We have played rounders as a group before, so they may have had a glimpse at my competitive side.

This time was worse.

Much worse.

We went to a field and picked teams. Now, we all know that in every game there is the 'alpha team' the team which has more chance of winning. That was us.

So we already had a bit of an advantage. And then the leaders were picked.

We bat first, go on for a while, then someone catches the ball and we switch.

I'm at the first base. And I'm bitter.

A girl, who is pretty big, bats first and stops at my base. I do my tactic of try to distract them and talk to them, hug them and won't let go, stuff like that.

A thought crossed my mind...I could take it one step further. I couls trip her...

Then I thought 'no, no, I couldn't do that. I'd get into trouble' so when the next person hit the ball it was coming closer to me.

It all happened in slow motion....kinda...

I stepped forward, about to take a step towards the ball when I felt a tap at my foot behind me.

'Oh no' I thought. 'Did I - '

I did. I looked to my right and there, skidding across the grass was the girl.

Everyone, including her, were laughing as I continued to apologise over and over and over.

The leader of the club, who was on my team (we'll call him M) , was very proud and happy. We even got her put out during the laughing fits.

She was the first of my victims.

The next of my victims was when my team were batting again. They had just put out a team member who should have been safe but nooooooooooooo, apparently not!

So I was, once again, bitter.

One of my close friends, on the other team, was throwing the ball and without thinking and in my bitter state I threw the ball at him. And it hit him right between the eyes.

Oops.

I ended up hugging him and not letting go for about a minute straight.

He was second.

Now, my third and final victim is one of the leaders/helper people of the club. (We'll call him J)

Pause for a second!

J and M, throughout the game, had been tackling each other trying to prevent each other from going to the next base.

Both of them were almost as competitive as me.

Almost.

Anyway. It was the final go, we had to get everyone home if our team wanted to win. We had someone at each base, so we all had to sprint.

The leader, M batted the ball and it didn't go as far as we could have wished.

I was at first base, the person at third base got home, the person at second base got to third, I got to second, M got to first, third got to home, I reached third, M got to second.

I realised that J was ready to catch the ball at home and put M out.

Just take a quick second to remember what I said about how competitive I can be...so think about the lengths I will go to to win.

Now J is a big guy, like, twice my entire being (maybe). Compared to him, I'm not much, he could throw me in the river near this field.

So what do I do?

I do what I got to do to win the game.

I rugby tackle this guy to the ground.

Yup. Me - a short-ish, pretty weak, overly competitive fifteen year old girl - tackles J to the floor.

But he promises when I move up to the adult class for first aid he's gonna bully me ;-;

Ugh oh. Oh well, we won the game. I'm happy about that.

I'm just gonna ask, don't be as competitive as me.

Please.

I found someone who was as competitive as me once and we were put on opposite teams and.....we don't speak of what happened....

Literally, I kinda blanked out for some of that certain game and nobody really tells me what happens but I apparently traumatised a couple of my team members....

Oops.

Your competitive psychopath out ^-^