Fifty-six (Part 2)

The end of the third trimester:

Saturday

"Come inside with me. Stretch your legs," Carter encouraged as he held the passenger door open for her.

He smiled convincingly as he reached a hand out to help her.

Nico grumbled. "This was not part of the itinerary," she muttered, climbing out of the car anyways.

Usually he dropped her off at the cabin and then went to go buy groceries but the one time in her life that she just wanted to lay down, he was making her walk.

The only thing her feet could fit were slides, but she was happy to get out because sitting in this hot car would be the death of her.

Carter held her elbow gently.

"I can walk," she glared at him, because he had been treating her like a senior citizen... and she was beginning to get offended.

But, she was officially at term at 37 weeks and couldn't see her toes anymore, so he was just trying to help.

Carter frowned. "You're mean..." he muttered and her glare deepened.

"Your mom," she retorted childishly, and he kissed his teeth.

Carter began to walk off, leaving her on her own to pout, with no help.

"Wait. Come back," she giggled, and he stopped and turned around. "I'm sorry."

Carter smiled and returned to her side, letting her hold onto his elbow as they walked into the grocery store.

"I'm so happy we made it," she smiled.

He was supposed to bring her to the cabin the week he returned from LA, but he got sick so he didn't come around for a week since he didn't wanna get Nico sick. When he finally got better, or at least, thought he fully recovered, he was back but then Nico got sick so they couldn't go.

They pushed it as far back as a month, but couldn't any further because they were risking her giving birth.

Nico insisted they go for his birthday, which was Monday, and even got her doctor to convince him a three-hour road trip wasn't a bad idea, so long as they took plenty of stops along the way and weren't gone for more than three days.

To her, that was enough time for her to enjoy the nature she had been missing all summer cooped up in her apartment. She wanted to be in the water and go canoeing and do all the fun things they did last summer, again.

Inside the grocery store, she leaned on the cart a lot for support as she walked up and down the aisles with him, only grabbing essential things they would be eating.

"Ooh... cake," she pointed.

It was an 8-inch vanilla frosted cake they sold at the bakery.

"I'm good," Carter said, thinking she meant to celebrate his birthday with.

"But I want it," she said, placing it in the cart.

"Baby," Carter laughed, because it was huge. "We only here a couple days.. we can't finish that."

"I can," she said and then received a funny look from him.

"....You sure?"

She frowned and looked at the cake.

"Is it too much?" She asked, her eyes watering. "Am I too fat?" She burst into tears.

Carter sighed, because he should have known better than to comment on her eating habits.