Thirteen

She debated on attending the little get together Jess was having that weekend. In truth, Nico considered Jess a friend at that point as they had gone clubbing once or twice within the last month or so of knowing one another and texted here and there, but a get together inside her home felt way too intimate for Nico.

She figured if Jada was willing to tag along then it removed any of the awkwardness associated with showing up on her own and not knowing anybody, so she was happy when Jada agreed, in exchange for Nico doing her hair the next night for a date she had at some fancy opera.

They stood in the lobby of the apartment building after being let in by concierge and waited for the elevator.

"Tobias sent some money for us to get dinner if we're still hungry afterwards," Jada said and turned her phone to show the transaction of $200 to her account. "I'm thinking we can just grab McDonald's and then head to a bar afterwards and spend the money on drinks."

Nico blinked.

"What am I doing wrong?" She wondered, as she was certain she gave off a completely different vibe than her best friend when it came to dating and men.

Jada always had a man paying for her nails, her hair, her shoes, her clothes, her dinner, hell even her parking on a date. Yet, Nico couldn't recall a single time a man had given her money just because.

The elevator arrived and they stepped on.

"You're too nice. You care about their 'feelings'," she said as she used her fingers to gesture the air quotes. "I don't. That's the difference."

"You say that like you're heartless when you're not," Nico sighed as she pressed the 15th floor, as directed by the text message she received. "You're a sweetheart, Jada."

"To you, because you're my best friend. To men, I'm a stuck up bitch. I won't even say thanks and he's gonna call and ask if I need anything else," Jada put her phone back into her purse and shut it, making Nico laugh.

Tobias indeed was also a sweetheart, much like Jada. She'd met him a few times, and she knew her best friend was smitten in a way she had never been before for any other man.

They let the music guide them more than following the door signs and when they reached the apartment with the music, Nico opened the door as directed.

It wasn't too loud, there was a healthy balance between music playing and people chatting. Jess was near the door so when she saw them, she hopped off the stool she sat on to greet them.

"Hi! So glad you made it," she pulled Nico in for a hug before turning to Jada. "I'm Jess. You must be Jada."

"Nice to meet you," Jada returned the friendly hug and smiled. "Your apartment is beautiful."

"Thank you, thank you," she giggled as she shut the door closed behind them. "There's drinks, there's music, there's people, there's food that should be ready soon," she gestured her arm around the apartment to where things had been dispersed and organized. "Let me introduce y'all to everyone and then you can enjoy yourselves."

She gestured them over to the living area where a group of people sat.

Jess introduced Nico and Jada to cousins, coworkers, old friends, new friends and everything in between as they sat there conversing, getting to know one another.

Everybody waved and said hi, and she ended up taking a seat next to a girl with big, curly blonde hair while Jada grabbed them drinks.

"I love your hair," Nico complimented.

"I love your skirt," the girl gushed with a grin, pointing to the mini green leather skirt Nico had on. It was extra short, and she had to cross one leg over the other on the couch to keep her goodies covered. "I'm Amira, by the way. I've known Jess for years.. she's always throwing one of these and getting all the people she knows together. It's sweet."