Huíshēng | 73 . human body

And so, like that, months passed by. It felt like it all happened in the blink of an eye. Time moved forward fast, and your meetings with Huíshēng became sparse...

It made your skin crawl, even as you two sent letters and met when possible. Between your successor classes and his duties as a shaman, it was hard. It made you... Burn. Those crystals on your skin feeling searing at times.

You felt so restless. Impossibly so.

You could see Huíshēng felt the same. Though he held restraint, you could see it each time you met. How he longed to hold more than your hand. Just as you wished he'd just hug you.

It was hard. All of it. And despite yourself, you'd never felt less at peace than now.

"Pardon me?" You blinked in surprise, and your mother smiled softly.

"We've been invited to a gala at the palace. For the birthday of God Keres. Most nobles attend."

You clutched the skirt of your dress. "Do you think... Maybe..."

"I wouldn't figure that Huíshēng would be there," she shook her head. "He, as a shaman, has different responsibilities for the birthday of our God."

"Oh," you breathed out.

And suddenly it felt like this gala didn't matter in the slightest.

It was weird to feel this way. Like something didn't matter if it didn't involve Huíshēng. It was... Crazy, kind of, you figured.

Nonetheless, you went around with Hàoyú to gather what you needed for your outfit. Your gaze drifting across the town abuzz with life, decorating and dancing. This nation seemed fond of dancing, you realized.

It was nice, peaceful, even. Though a little chilly, if you had to admit.

Then you paused in your steps, and your eyes widened as amongst the children familiar green eyes met yours. He laughed, and the two of you were embracing before you realized what was going on. "Chava," you mumbled.

"It's you again! Hello, hello! It's so nice to see you doing well!"

"You think I'm doing well?" You put your hands on his shoulders and pushed him back, frowning a bit. He tilted his head and wore that same smile.

"Yeah, I think so." Chava nodded. "Wanna come with me for a minute?" He asked, taking your hand. And you nodded, and then the both of you were off.

"Where are we going?" You asked, briefly glancing back as Hàoyú realized you were gone.

"Nowhere special! I just wanted a moment to talk with you! Y'see, I looked into what we discussed and all, and—"

"Satia is messing with me..."

"Oh, so you know! How clever!" He chuckled and spun around, taking both of your hands now. "Y'see, his actions are corrupting your soul, I think." Chava hummed as he looked at the crystals. "Sapphire explained it to me, she said you need an outlet for it all, but your human body isn't quite capable of that."

You considered it briefly. "My... Human body?"

It was quite normal phrasing, or as normal as things seemed to get nowadays, but you didn't like the way he said it.

Like there was something more than human about you.