Huíshēng | 67 . lost soul

You wrapped your hands around Huíshēng's forearm, a soft blush still resting on your cheeks. His gaze cast forward, but all you could do was stare at him. "Reincarnation is something we all exist through, just as the death of a star births another one death does not mean an end."

"You speak in riddles." You laughed airily.

Huíshēng returned the laugh with a chuckle of his own. The sound warming your heart. "Yes. So I hear."

"So you think of it as... The cycle of how rain falls and the seasons shift?"

"Yes, that is how I understand it." Huíshēng confirmed.

"Do you... Think that maybe there could be more to it?" You asked him hesitantly.

"Perhaps," Huíshēng murmured, "I do not possess the wisdom of the holiest Goddess."

"Holiest?"

"Marzia, the creator." Huíshēng glanced at you. "Forgive me, but you seem to have lost your footing within this world. It is common for people to become obtuse during a period of mourning but..."

You stopped, and Huíshēng continued to stare at you. "... I just don't feel as though I belong anywhere." You whispered. And honestly, you didn't know why you were saying this to him. Why you found such comfort in his smile, in his bewildering words that somehow made sense.

Huíshēng reached out a hand and gently cupped your cheek. "Do you wander, lost soul?"

"Huh?"

"You have lost what once was, and interference has obstructed your natural cycle." Huíshēng narrowed his eyes. Slowly his hand drifted to one of the crystals growing from you. "I have sensed it since I first laid eyes on you. I figured it to rude to say aloud though... But your words just now..."

You gently wrapped your fingers around his hand and bit your lip, lowering your gaze.

"What roads have you travelled?" He whispered. "Who has caused you such strife?"

Before Huíshēng had put it the way he had, you'd never considered this to be someone's fault. You'd never considered it to be Satia's, either.

But had he not come to you in your darkest hour, whose to say you'd have ever ended up down this path?

Whose to say you couldn't have been born again with Hibiki in another more prosperous life?

Huíshēng pulled you close, and it was then that you had begun to cry. "I am here now, lost soul. I will set you on track again."

"How?" You choked out.

"For I am blessed by the Goddess of the rising dawn, the one who will see a new daybreak." He murmured, brushing his hand over your ear. "And I will see to it that you, as well, will see the rising sun in its glory again."

His words were confusing, but somehow they made sense. You just couldn't explain it, it was so intuitive in that nature.

Just like everything you'd discovered before now. You couldn't fathom it, but you comprehended it to its base level.

You understood his soul, his purpose, even if his words fell on deaf ears.