Hibiki | 5 . uncanny

"Ah, Miss (L/n), glad to finally see you awake."

Your doctor was a slim, tall man. He looked so far away despite the pleasant expression he was wearing. "My name's Dion. I've been your doctor during your stay here. How are you feeling?"

"Tired." You'd said it before you fully processed you were talking at all. Hibiki sucked in a shaky breath, gently clasping your hand from your bedside. He hadn't moved not a foot from you since earlier.

"No pain?" Dion asked as he began to scribble in what you could only assume was your patient file.

"None at all." It was scary. After that horrific accident, you expected you'd be in all sorts of horrific pain with injuries that would never go away. But looking at Hibiki... "You aren't injured either." You frowned at him. Hibiki sat up straighter.

"It's been six months," he reminded you, "and..."

"Your lack of injuries, both of you, were spectacular." Dion told the both of you. "I think what played a part in your speedy recovery was how fast the paramedics were able to get you here."

"Huh?" You blinked. "But the rain was so bad... How could anybody have found us at all?"

Dion shrugged and wrote something else down.

It unnerved you further.

"Well, if your feeling fine, then we'll just run some last tests. If you do well with all of them then we can discharge you."

So your doctor called in a nurse and she began to run the tests. Hibiki stayed by your side as best he could through it all. Most of the time he'd be staring off into space playing with your fingers. You didn't question it, even if Hibiki had never been the spacey type before.

When you finally were ready to be discharged, you hesitated.

"What's wrong?" Hibiki asked, already having gotten everything else ready for you. "Should I call the doctor back in?"

"... I want to look at my file."

Something just felt so wrong. It was inexplicable, but something you also couldn't just avoid.

Hibiki seemed to understand that. He went and got the file for you, insisting you stay seated and resting while he was away. So you took the time for yourself and just laid there, staring up at that blank ceiling.

It was already the afternoon now. Probably closer to dinner, actually. The idea of dinner made you salivate, which wasn't all too surprising. You'd gone without proper food for... What? Six months, Hibiki had said?

Hibiki knocked on the door frame before he came in, and you snapped back to reality. He held up a folder. "Alright, I got you a copy. Can we leave now?"

"Why the rush?" You asked, a bit slow on the uptake. "It's not like they're going to kick us out..."

Your boyfriend paused, looking at you as though the answer should be obvious. "Let's just say... Visiting this place every day for six months leaves a bad taste in my mouth."