Hibiki | 14 . silence

It wasn't as big of an ask as Omari had expected. Hibiki's eyes still held the intent to kill in them, but he didn't call Omari crazy again. Omari was actually shocked how well Hibiki understood the concepts. The blond never seemed to be the best at science after all.

So Omari watched as Hibiki left, watched as he returned to your side. He felt like he had dodged a major bullet. But maybe that same bullet would hit you instead.

"I need a beer." He groaned, all but slamming the door shut.

You flinched at the sound, looking over worriedly. Hibiki only glanced at it. "We should get going." He smiled at you, taking your hand into his own and beginning to lead you away. "What do you feel like having for lunch?"

"How did the talk go?" You blurted out. Hibiki rose a brow.

"Fine, I guess." He sighed like it was the hardest thing on earth. "Orion doesn't seem so bad."

"Omari." You corrected.

"Yeah, that's what I meant." Hibiki shrugged.

There was a brief silence as the two of you got into Hibiki's car. A new one, slightly rusted but running just fine. Old, but not damaged. Hibiki said it was the best he could do on his extremely limited budget.

"So... What did you talk about?" You cleared your throat.

"Oh nothing major. I was just curious about something."

"Like what?"

Hibiki was quiet.

"It's nothing you need to worry about." Is what he finally ended up saying.

"Ugh..."

"Ugh?"

"Ugh."

"Are you catching an attitude?" Hibiki asked, chancing a glance at you. "Why?"

"Because." You muttered. "You've been... I don't know... Just so... Ugh."

"Highly intelligent, my love." He mused.

"Don't."

Things fell quiet again.

You felt exhausted. The only solace was that this Hibiki may very well have never been the one you knew. All of these changes, changes he swore were nonexistent, wasn't you going crazy. At the same time, it made you sick to think about what your Hibiki may be going through.

The you from this universe seemed just as unrecognizable as this Hibiki.

"... We talked about why you and Omari have been spending so much time together." He finally conceded.

"What?!" You sat up and looked over at him, frantic. "What the hell?!"

"Oh, so now you're mad even when I answer your question directly? Great."

"You went over my head, Hibiki!"

"Because you went over mine! What the hell else was I supposed to do when you've been dodging me for another guy?!"

"I don't know, talk to me?! Like the grown ass adults we are?!"

"Talking never gets anywhere with us." Hibiki gripped the wheel and narrowed his eyes at the red light. "You should know that... Or, I guess, the you I know would know that."

His words lingered. "He told you everything." A sense of betrayal welled up in your heart. Omari had agreed to let you handle it.

"I guess."

"And you... Believe him?"

"... Do you?"

Your words died on your tongue. Silence fell between you two again.