Hibiki | 19 . the river

It was too overwhelming. The smell of cleaning products. You'd even left the kitchen, and it still reeked. Did he bleach? It kind of smelled like bleach... How bad had your head wound been? That he needed to bleach?

Well, either way, you were opening windows. For a moment you felt disappointed the wives weren't arguing anymore. Maybe with the windows open, you could've caught the gossip. Shame, really.

Despite you having opened basically every window in this house, it still had such a strong smell. Already being still sensitive to the world, you couldn't handle it.

Then you stood before one last room. You hadn't opened any windows in there yet. Maybe it was the problem area.

So you took that spherical handle into your hand and pulled it open.

A totally normal room lay inside. Well, for the most part. The smell of bleach was sickening, and it was basically empty... Save a few canvas sheets and buckets of red paint.

Red?

Weird choice. Maybe you'd ask him what the room was for later. For now, you'd done the best you could. So you decided to plop down on the couch and binge-watch something or another. Whatever was on, really. Only, when you turned on the tv you were confronted by the news channel.

Why was Hibiki watching cable in this day and age? If he wanted the news he could just look it up on Google like a normal person. Those thoughts fizzled away after a minute. For what it was worth, the newscasters were fairly entertaining. Enough so to keep you just entertained enough to not go find something on Netflix or Hulu.

A solid hour had passed before some sort of urgent news had come through. At first, the newscasters had seemed confused and the station flustered.

"This just in," The brunet man coughed and straightened the papers just handed to him, "A university student's body has been found in Evermoore River. He has yet to be identified."

A body? Since when did this town harbor murderers?

"It's a real tragedy." The woman frowned, but her sentiments sounded fake.

Your stomach churned. How could this happen? It made you wonder to yourself if you'd known them. What if it was someone you went to school with? Someone, you'd called a friend? Unfortunately, you didn't have any of their numbers anymore. You'd checked a while ago, halfway expecting someone to have been worried about you being in a coma. Someone besides Hibiki.

... There was one person though.

He. The newscaster said he. And Evermoore River... Now that wasn't so far from here, was it? Maybe twenty from Hibiki's and, what, ten minutes from Omari's place?

Omari.

Panting, lungs burning, you grabbed the lock on Omari's garage and pushed it open. The simple feat was taking all the energy you had left after sprinting here. Time seemed to stop seeing the garage empty. There wasn't a soul in there. But that didn't make sense, Omari was always in here.

"Who are you?"

Jolting, you whipped around. Your gaze fell upon a person with pink and white hair. They rose a brow at you. "Uh, are you... Good? You look like death..."

A bit blunt, but you didn't think they were wrong. "Omari," you breathed, "where is he?"

The person was a bit surprised. "Oh, I don't know. Probably class, or sleeping." They shrugged, resting their hands in their pockets. Right at that moment, their dark eyes lit in recognition. "You're that (Y/n) chick, aren't you? The one with him every day in that musty-ass garage? Omari's been talking about you."

It hurt to nod. "You... Really haven't seen him?"

The person opened their mouth to answer again, only for your conversation to be cut short.

"Ginger Stevenson?" Stood behind him now was a cop. "We need to have a word with you about your roommate Omari Abiyoe."

The person called 'Ginger' didn't even turn, but their eyes widened as a look of pure dread dropped on your expression.

"Ginger? Is everything alright?"

'Go.' Ginger mouthed to you. Without hesitance, you made some feeble excuse to leave quickly.

This was bad, this was bad bad bad.