Kaja | 38 . line in the sand

It all was still red, but in a different sense. It was red everywhere. There was fire and smoke and blood all making Kaja feel... Sick. And there you were, in her arms, trembling and sobbing.

She didn't know what to even say. But when you started coughing from the smoke, choking on your own tears, she lifted you up. Kaja carried you out of there as though you were a bride.

The redhead could still feel the burn on her hands. She hadn't exerted her powers like that in a long time. She hadn't smelled burning flesh in years.

But she didn't feel bad.

They'd crossed a line. A dangerous line.

And so had she.

"There will be more now." Kaja whispered to you as you both put the motel in the rear view. "You need to trust me more than ever. I'll handle it."

She'd never let another one of those fuckers touch you ever again. Kaja felt like she was suffocating, burning to a crisp inside. Her lungs felt like they were giving out on her. Yet her hold on you never wavered for even a second.

You nodded gently, hiding your face in her, still sniffling and crying. "It'll be okay," she promised, "I'll make sure it's okay. Let me handle everything."

So you did. You let Kaja find you both a place to stay. You let her take the lead on where to go. You let her take out anybody who came looking for trouble.

You could tell something about Kaja had changed. That night made something in her snap.

Things had changed. They were worse than before. The lack of sleep didn't help you feel better about... Anything, really. Kaja would always hold you close and whisper about how she'd protect you. That the nightmares were just nightmares. But they weren't.

There was so much blood on the hands that held you so gently.

"I'm sorry," you whispered as you clung to Kaja, "I'm sorry, I should've never left it all up to you..."

"Shush," Kaja grunted, "don't with that nonsense. I told you to."

"I still shouldn't've."

She put her forehead to yours, and that was the end of that.

You wish it hadn't been.

"We have to keep moving on, you know that." Kaja mumbled as she scooped you up from the bed.

"Everything hurts," you hissed. Kaja furrowed her brows.

"It shouldn't... You haven't sustained any injuries, have you?"

"Just walking miles per day."

"I'll carry you, then."

"You'll get tired. You shouldn't."

Kaja shook her head. "Don't worry. I'll make sure we're okay."