Hibiki | 12 . the multiverse

Omari and you had been spending a lot more time together nowadays. Usually it was in the garage of the place he was renting out with a few college friends. The place was packed with things that looked like they belonged to a mad man. But honestly? Omari was so chill with it all.

"I think I have something definitive." Omari slapped down some papers next to you on the desk. He brushed others aside shortly after. "You swapped, definitely. But I think it runs deeper than all those isekai stories. Y'know the ones."

"Kind... Of?"

"Kind of is good enough." He nodded. "Anyways, so look here."

"I'm looking, but I'm not processing." You frowned. "This all sounds like nonsense."

"It's a scientific paper that one of my professors wrote up. He met a person like you. Uh, Jameson or something. When he was younger. They fell out of touch, but Jameson had memories of a different reality. He's who got my professor into the whole cosmology field." Omari explained excitedly. You'd seen over the last week together how excited he got when talking science.

"So there's other cases!"

"Exactly!" He snapped his fingers. "But they've all been mocked up to some form of amnesia. Or people's brains making up dreams."

"How do we know that I wasn't doing that? Dreaming?" You hated the thought, but it was impossible to deny that it was a possibility.

"Because," he looked over at you, "I didn't notice it at first, but you yourself have changed."

"Huh?"

"Fundamentally. I didn't notice because I never really knew you. But I got some old pictures from friends and stuff and..."

He pulled out some Polaroids.

Staring at them was creepy.

It was you, but it wasn't. "What's with that?" You pointed to scarring across your neckline. "Looks like burns... But I never burnt myself?"

"Exactly." He nodded, and gestured to your neck. "Scars like that don't fade."

It made you question just how the scar had been formed, but you tried not to think about it.

"And your personality has changed down to its root. From what I hear, in the past you never would've reached out like this." Omari shook his head. "There's so much more too."

"Just how much digging did you do on me?"

"A lot," he admitted sheepishly, "but it was for science! It wasn't because I'm a creep! Besides, I'm sure you internet stalked to find me."

He got you there.

"... I can't believe this is real." You breathed out. "It feels like a fever dream... I mean... Can I really be from another universe?"

Omari shrugged. "That's what the facts support at this point. Who are we to deny the facts?"

You considered staring at the photos, slowly running a finger over them.

Everything must feel wrong because it is.

"How do I even explain this to Hibiki?"

The black haired male crossed his arms and stared off at one of his poster boards. "I don't know..." He admitted softly.

You were quiet. Silence fell between the both of you.

Until your phone went off. "It's Hibiki." You mumbled.

"Better figure out how to explain it fast, I guess...?"

You laughed.

"Yeah... I guess."