Satia | 41 . comforting

"... You're back again so soon...?"

You groaned deeply, writhing in Satia's lap. It felt uncomfortable, how little pain you were in. "Ah, it's alright, calm down." He whispered, stroking your head gently. And you did, taking a few deep breaths. It felt heavenly, the lack of pain. "Dying must've been much harder on you this time around..."

You looked up, your eyes still bleary and unfocused. But you could see his face. His golden eyes, and those crystals... You reached up, and he gently took your hair, their soft lips pressing to the back of it. "Those... The crystals..."

"Mm?" He frowned softly, and your heart ached. "... Right, yes... I'm sorry. There's nothing I can do about those. They look terrible, right?" He chuckled sadly, and averted his gaze. "I'm truly sorry, honey."

"I'm growing them too," you breathed out.

"I figured you would." They mumbled. "I told you there would be consequences to your choice... But I didn't think... I didn't think you'd die so fast again."

"I... Didn't either." You nodded.

Satia's smile returned. He let you rest on his lap like that for awhile, and they hummed softly. "So how was it, honey? Living?"

You considered it. "Hellish."

"Was it worth it?" Satia asked. "It's okay to bow out, really, honey. You don't have to continue down this path. Instead, you can stay here, with me."

"No," you shook your head, "I don't want to."

Satia's chest tightened. "Ah, stubborn as ever..."

"As ever?"

"Well," he sighed, "It's my own fault... Alright... Would you like to rest more, or continue on your journey through the stars?"

You were quiet for a minute. Then you turned on your side and your eyelids fluttered shut. "I'll rest for a little while longer."

"Okay." He whispered, running a hand through your hair. "Rest for as long as you would like." He said, a smile on his face. "I will always be here."