Kaja | 30 . time flies

It'd been about five months since then. Time had flown, and Quinten's hospitality seemed to know no bounds. Of course, he didn't demand anything in return. You and Kaja pulled your weight around the house. Kaja did a lot of the physical labor, while you managed the household.

You'd also found it was warmer here, especially as summer rolled in. Honestly, living in the house with Quinten and Kaja brought familiarity to this world. The strangest things you encountered in that time was Kaja lighting flames from her palms and Quinten's wolf features. You found out very quickly he couldn't handle strong smells or loud noises.

In all that time, you also hadn't learned too much more about this world. Quinten didn't talk about his past much. He said he had a wife and a son once, but both of them were dead now. "Maybe I hadn't been the best dad after my wife died," he admitted remorsefully one evening. "I wasn't the only one mourning, after all."

He never said more than that, and you didn't think it was your place to pry.

Then Kaja's birthday rolled around. "And you had the audacity to not tell us before now?" You questioned, baffled she wouldn't even mention it before the day of. Kaja shrugged.

"No reason to. Birthdays were never really that important." She claimed.

"That's not fair, I want to do something," you frowned so deeply it made Kaja's heart melt.

She'd become so endeared to you over the past few months. Something about you just drew her in and made her feel as though she should be protecting you. Kaja always wanted you nearby. But there was something else about you too, more curious. Like you were mourning something that never was.

Kaja never knew what that was about. She figured that it was maybe in relation to the onyx crystals growing from your skin. They hadn't grown or expanded much more than when they appeared, luckily.

"Why?" Kaja asked, tilting her head.

"Because it's your birthday," you sighed, "why wouldn't I want to do something?"

"Then... What do you want to do?"

You considered it. What did you want to do? You weren't sure, you just knew the two of you had to celebrate. You hadn't been able to celebrate your or Hibiki's birthdays last time, so you desperately wanted to celebrate Kaja's.

Then it clicked.

"I have an idea."

"This is a bad idea," Quinten sighed deeply as he helped you and Kaja get ready to head into town. "You're going to get caught..."

"I've tried telling her that, she just won't listen." Kaja shook her head.

"If you get caught, I'm not saving you," Quinten stated firmly. "I'm only letting you stay here because I owe the woman who sent you."

"It's fine, Kaja will protect us." You waved a hand dismissively. Quinten still seemed skeptical, but Kaja could feel the heat on her cheeks.

"Yeah," she nodded eagerly, "I'll protect us."